Leif E. Peterson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy Director of Personnel, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. With the director, he provides executive management of the command?s nearly 80,000 military and civilian professionals located throughout the United States and overseas in research facilities, test sites, universities, and at product development, logistics and specialized centers. The function of the Directorate of Personnel is to shape the AFMC workforce to deliver war-winning expeditionary capabilities and provide oversight, direction and control for all personnel activities within AFMC.
Mr. Peterson, a native of Ludington, Mich., entered federal service in 1971 as a labor relations specialist at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He has held numerous positions as a civilian personnel officer, serving two tours at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., and six years overseas. In 1983, Mr. Peterson became Deputy Director of Civilian Personnel for Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md., and later returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as Chief of Staffing, Development and Equal Employment Opportunity. For eight years he was Director of Civilian Personnel at Tactical Air Command and Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va., and was then assigned as Director of Civilian Personnel and Programs at AFMC. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in May 2004 when he assumed his current position.
1970 Bachelor of science degree in labor and industrial relations, Michigan State University
1976 Master?s degree in labor and industrial relations, Loyola University of Chicago, Ill.
1985 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1988 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. July 1971 ? May 1973, labor relations specialist, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
2. June 1973 ? June 1977, personnel management specialist, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. July 1977 ? June 1979, civilian personnel officer, Royal Air Force Bentwaters, England
4. July 1979 ? February 1981, civilian personnel officer, Lindsey Air Station, West Germany
5. February 1981 ? May 1983, civilian personnel officer, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
6. May 1983 ? December 1983, personnel management specialist, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. December 1983 ? September 1986, Deputy Director of Civilian Personnel, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. September 1986 ? December 1988, Chief, Staffing, Development and Equal Employment Opportunity, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. December 1988 ? December 1995, Director of Resources, Programs, and Civilian Personnel Management, Tactical Air Command and Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. January 1996 ? May 2004, Chief, Civilian Personnel and Programs, Air Force Material Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. May 2004 ? present, Deputy Director of Personnel, AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
1980 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1995, 2004 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
1997 ? 2004 Defense Leadership and Management Program participant
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Civilian Welfare Fund Board