Leslie L. Bordelon, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He serves as principal deputy to the center commander on all matters under the cognizance of the commander. He has extensive authority for broad management, policy development, decision making and effective program execution of the center's development, test and evaluation mission. His role as an executive manager involves long- and short-range planning, policy development, the determination of program and center goals, including those involving scientific and technical matters, and the overall management of the Edwards Air Force Base complex.
After serving five years on active duty with the Air Force, Bordelon entered the civilian work force in 1975 as a facility electrical engineer for the Titan II weapon system at Little Rock AFB, Ark. He has more than 23 years of weapon system acquisition experience in program management, engineering and test including positions as functional manager, chief engineer, engineering division chief, project manager and project officer. He served as the Chief Engineer and Primary Technical Manager for the Peacekeeper weapon system deployment at Francis E. Warren AFB, Wyo.; was a key architect of the Air Force Materiel Command integrated weapon system management and systems engineering processes; and served as both Director of Program Management and Director of Systems Acquisition, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1994.
Mr. Bordelon retired from the Air Force Reserve in the rank of colonel in May 1998. In his last Reserve assignment he was the senior Reserve assistant to the Director of Engineering and Technical Management at Air Force Materiel Command.
1968 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
1970 Master of Science degree in electrical engineering, St. Louis University
1988 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1990 Air War College, by seminar
1993 Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1994 Leadership in a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1994 Senior Executive Service APEX Orientation Program, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C.
1995 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1970 - June 1970, student, Air Force Institute of Technology Civil Engineering School, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. June 1970 - June 1974, civil engineering staff officer, Wiesbaden Air Base, West Germany
3. July 1974 - June 1975, Titan II facilities liaison officer, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. July 1975 - September 1977, Titan II facilities electrical engineer, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. October 1977 - December 1979, aerospace engineer, Minuteman Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Organization, Norton AFB, Calif.
6. December 1979 - December 1984, systems engineer, Minuteman and Peacekeeper program offices, Ballistic Missile Office, Norton AFB, Calif.
7. December 1984 - September 1988, Chief Deployment Engineer, Peacekeeper Program Office, Ballistic Systems Division, Norton AFB, Calif.
8. September 1988 - July 1990, Chief Deployment Engineer, Peacekeeper Rail Garrison and Small Intercontinental Ballistic Missile program offices, Ballistic Missile Organization, Norton AFB, Calif.
9. July 1990 - January 1994, Director of Program Management and Engineering, Detachment 10, Space and Missile Systems Center, Norton AFB, Calif.
10. January 1994 - June 1996, Director of Program Management, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
11. June 1996 - September 2000, Director of Systems Acquisition, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
12. September 2000 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1991 Senior Civilian of the Year, Air Force Systems Command
2000 Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award
2001 AFMC International Award - Armaments Team Category (Team Lead)
2002 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Co-author, "Assembly and Checkout Technical Analysis Guidebook," 1986
"Baseline Concept and System Description Guidebook," AFMC Pamphlet 800-62, 1992
"Systems Engineering and Configuration Management Life Cycle Application Guide," Draft Military Handbook 499-3, 1992
"Systems Engineering Training Supplement to Life Cycle Application Guide," 1992
"Goin' With the Flow," training video and slide presentation, 1992
"Software Development Capability Evaluation Guidebook," AFMC Pamphlet 63-103, 1993