Lester McFawn, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the Principal Assistant to the Commander and the senior civilian executive responsible for managing the Air Force's $1.3 billion science and technology program, additional customer funded research and development of $1.1 billion, and a workforce of approximately 5,700 people.
Mr. McFawn entered federal civil service in 1972. He has served in a variety of engineering and senior technical management positions within the Air Force laboratory system, leading the development and transition of advanced avionics and sensor technologies to the Maverick missile, F-15, F-16, F-22, Combat Talon II, Joint Strike Fighter and numerous intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance applications. He served as Director of the Plans and Programs Directorate with the Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, Fla., where he was responsible for the center?s policy and products in strategic planning, resource programming, manpower and organization, and business development. Prior to his current assignment, he served as Deputy Director, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. In this position he was responsible for the command's strategic planning, manpower and organization, legislative affairs, base closure, and resource programming for approximately $43 billion and 78,000 positions. Mr. McFawn was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1997.
1968 Bachelor's degree in electronics engineering, Florida State University, Tallahassee
1969 Master's degree in electronics engineering, Florida State University, Tallahassee
1977 Master's degree in computer engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1995 Executive Development Program, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
1997 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1997 Senior Leadership Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
1999 National Security Leadership Program, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
2000 Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2000 APEX Orientation Program, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Senior Information Warfare Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Senior Executive Service Air and Space Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1969 - December 1972, project engineer, (Air Force lieutenant), Avionics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. December 1972 - February 1975, senior lead engineer, imaging infrared guidance advanced development captive flight test and free-flight test programs, Avionics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. February 1975 - August 1975, avionics engineer, Maverick System Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. September 1975 - June 1977, graduate student, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
5. July 1977 - December 1978, Program Manager, Advanced Development Project 1177, Avionics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. December 1978 - December 1979, Technical Manager, Fire Control Technology Group, Avionics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. December 1979 - April 1985, Technical Manager, Surface Strike Group, Avionics Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. April 1985 - December 1990, Chief, System Integration Branch, Avionics Laboratory, Wright Research and Development Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. January 1991 - December 1995, Chief, Mission Avionics Division, Avionics Directorate, Wright Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. January 1996 - December 1996, Chief, Mission Applications Division, Avionics Directorate, Wright Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. January 1997 - September 1997, Director, Avionics Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. October 1997 - September 1999, Director, Sensors Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. October 1999 - June 2002, Director, Plans and Programs Directorate, AAC, Eglin AFB, Fla.
14. July 2002 - September 2003, Deputy Director, Plans and Program Directorate, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. September 2003 ? present, Executive Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Joint Logistics Commanders' Certificate of Merit
Defense Acquisition Executive Certificate of Achievement
Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
Former chairman and Air Force principal, Defense Technical Area Planning Team for Sensors and Electronics, Director of Defense Research and Engineering Defense Reliance
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Defense Industrial Association
Senior Executive Association
Board of Trustees, Dayton Area Graduate Studies Institute
Board of Trustees, Ohio Aerospace Institute
Board of Trustees, Wright Brothers Institute