Retired March 1, 1996.
Lieutenant General Arlen D. Jameson is deputy commander in chief and chief of staff, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. The command has responsibility for all U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy strategic nuclear forces supporting the national security objective of strategic deterrence.
The general was commissioned as a distinguished graduate through the University of Puget Sound's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program in 1962. He has held a number of key command positions, including wing commander, division commander, center commander and numbered Air Force commander. He also served in numerous headquarters assignments. He was chief of staff and director of command and control at Headquarters Strategic Air Command. He has served with the Headquarters U.S. Air Force staff and as military assistant to the under secretary of the Air Force.
1962 Bachelor of arts degree in business administration, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Wash.
1966 Master's degree in business administration, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
1967 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1975 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1981 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1985 Senior Executive Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
1991 Senior Executive Program in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Mass.
1. July 1962 - March 1963, chief, data control branch, military personnel division, 31st Tactical Fighter Wing, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
2. March 1963 - April 1963, student, Missile Launch Officer Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
3. April 1963 - January 1967, deputy commander and later, missile combat crew commander, 44th Strategic Missile Wing, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
4. January 1967 - September 1967, instructor, Minuteman I operational readiness training, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
5. September 1967 - October 1969, aide-de-camp to the commander, U.S. Forces, Azores, Lajes Field, Portugal
6. October 1969 - October 1970, adviser to the South Vietnamese air force, Air Force Advisory Group, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam
7. October 1970 - June 1974, executive officer to the deputy chief of staff for plans, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
8. June 1974 - February 1975, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. February 1975 - June 1976, manpower management officer, then assistant for special projects, deputy chief of staff for programs and resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1976 - June 1977, assistant for manpower programs, manpower, reserve affairs and installation, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1977 - July 1979, military assistant to the assistant secretary of the Air Force for manpower, reserve affairs and installations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. July 1979 - August 1980, military assistant to the undersecretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. August 1980 - August 1981, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. August 1981 - December 1982, deputy commander for operations, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
15. December 1982 - January 1984, vice commander, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
16. January 1984 - June 1986, commander, 90th Strategic Missile Wing, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
17. June 1986 - June 1987, director of command and control, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
18. June 1987 - August 1988, commander, 4th Air Division, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
19. August 1988 - July 1990, commander, 1st Strategic Aerospace Division, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
20. July 1990 - January 1991, commander, Strategic Missile Center, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
21. January 1991 - June 1992, chief of staff, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
22. June 1992 - October 1993, commander, 20th Air Force, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
23. October 1993 - June 1994, commander, 20th Air Force, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
24. June 1994 - present, deputy commander in chief and chief of staff, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Vietnam Service Medal with two bronze service stars
Humanitarian Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Command Missile Badge
Senior Aircrew Wings
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 3, 1962
First Lieutenant Jan 1, 1964
Captain Jan 1, 1967
Major Nov 1, 1972
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1976
Colonel Nov 1, 1980
Brigadier General Mar 1, 1987
Major General Oct 1, 1989
Lieutenant General Jul 1, 1992