Retired Aug. 1, 1995.
Lieutenant General Carl G. O'Berry is deputy chief of staff, command, control, communications, and computers, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for operational policy and high-level management of approximately $16 billion in C4I systems, including formulation of Air Force communications and computer doctrine, policies, and plans. He advocates and defends Air Force positions and resource requirements to all levels of review, including Joint Chiefs of Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense, and Congress.
The general enlisted in the Air Force in January 1957 as a communications specialist and served tours at Osan Air Base, South Korea; Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.; and Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He was commissioned through Officer Candidate School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in December 1961.
General O'Berry is from Lansing, Mich.
1965 Squadron Officer School
1972 Bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering, New Mexico State University
1974 Armed Forces Staff College
1977 Master of science degree in systems management, Air Force Institute of Technology
1982 Air War College
1986 National Defense University Institute for Higher Defense Studies Capstone Program
1. October 1962 - April 1965, communications operations and maintenance officer, 1914th Communications Squadron, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
2. April 1965 - February 1969, chief, long-lines central control and chief, communications operations division, Headquarters Far East Communications Region, Fuchu Air Station, Japan
3. February 1969 - December 1972, plans and programs staff officer, Headquarters Air Force Communications Service, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
4. December 1972 - December 1973, chief of maintenance, 1974th Communications Group, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. June 1974 - June 1976, commander, 2019th Communications Squadron, Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y.
6. September 1977 - June 1979, director of logistics plans, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Communications Service, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
7. June 1979 - August 1981, manager of the PAVE MOVER advanced development program; and chief of the location and control branch, Rome Air Development Center, Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y.
8. June 1982 - October 1984, director of command, control, communications and information, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, and assistant deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
9. October 1984 - June 1986, commander, Rome Air Development Center, Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y.
10. June 1986 - March 1988, joint program manager for the Worldwide Military Command and Control System Information System (WIS), Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and special assistant for WIS, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Research, Development and Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. March 1988 - March 1990, director of command, control and communications systems, J-6, Headquarters U.S. European Command, West Germany
12. March 1990 - June 1992, director of command, control, systems and logistics, J-4/J-6, U.S. Space Command, and deputy chief of staff for systems integration, logistics and support for the Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
13. June 1992 - present, deputy chief of staff for command, control, communications, and computers, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Good Conduct Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with two service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 22, 1961
First Lieutenant Jun 21, 1963
Captain Jun 22, 1966
Major Mar 1, 1971
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1976
Colonel May 1, 1981
Brigadier General Apr 1, 1987
Major General May 1, 1990
Lieutenant General Mar 26, 1993