Retired Jan. 1, 1997.
Lieutenant General (Dr.) Edgar R. Anderson Jr. is the surgeon general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C. He serves as functional manager of the USAF Medical Service. He advises the secretary of the Air Force and Air Force chief of staff, as well as the assistant secretary of defense (health affairs), on all matters pertaining to the health of Air Force personnel. He has authority to commit resources worldwide for the Air Force Medical Service, to make decisions affecting the delivery of medical services, and to develop plans, programs and procedures in support of peacetime and wartime medical service missions. He exercises direction, guidance and technical management of more than 52,000 personnel assigned to 87 medical facilities worldwide.
The general entered the Air Force in March 1965 after receiving his medical degree from Louisiana State University, New Orleans. He is board certified in family practice, dermatology and aerospace medicine. He has commanded Air Force hospitals of all sizes and been a command surgeon. He is a command pilot, a former medical test pilot, chief flight surgeon and basic parachutist with 2,200 flying hours, principally in fighter aircraft.
1964 Medical degree, Louisiana State University, New Orleans
1972 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
1980 Residency in dermatology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1982 Air War College
1. March 1965 - July 1965, entered the Air Force through direct commission
2. July 1965 - September 1965, student, aerospace medicine, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
3. September 1965 - September 1968, flight surgeon, 464th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
4. September 1968 - December 1969, chief of aerospace medicine, 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
5. December 1969 - March 1971, undergraduate and graduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
6. March 1971 - September 1971, combat crew training, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
7. September 1971 - July 1973, aircraft commander and assistant operations officer, 336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
8. July 1973 - August 1975, chief of aeromedical services, USAF Regional Hospital, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
9. August 1975 - October 1977, commander, USAF Hospital, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
10. October 1977 - June 1980, resident in dermatology, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
11. June 1980 - September 1981, staff dermatologist, Keesler USAF Medical Center, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
12. September 1981 - April 1983, chief of flight test operations, Royal Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine, U.S. Air Force-Royal Air Force exchange program, Royal Air Force Station Farnborough, England
13. April 1983 - February 1984, commander, USAF Regional Hospital, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
14. February 1984 - October 1984, director of professional services, Office of the Command Surgeon, Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
15. October 1984 - February 1986, command surgeon, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
16. February 1986 - May 1990, command surgeon, Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
17. May 1990 - September 1994, commander, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
18. September 1994 - present, surgeon general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot, chief flight surgeon, parachutist
Flight hours: More than 2,200
Aircraft flown: F-4, F-15 and Hawker Hunter
Pilot wings from: Williams Air Force Base, Ariz. (Class 71-04)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
1969 Commander's Trophy, Flying Training Award, Officer Training Award, and Daedalian Orville Wright Award during undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
1971 "Top Gun," 336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant Mar 8, 1965
Captain Jun 5, 1965
Major Jun 5, 1969
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 15, 1973
Colonel Jun 5, 1978
Brigadier General May 1, 1986
Major General Jun 1, 1990
Lieutenant General Sep 26, 1994