Retired Oct. 1, 1973. Died Jan. 18, 1999.
Lieutenant General Jammie M. Philpott is vice commander in chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, with headquarters at Lindsey Air Station, Wiesbaden, Germany.
General Philpott was born in Ashland, Okla., in 1919. He graduated from Classen High School in Oklahoma City, in 1937, and attended Oklahoma State University before entering the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1940. As a cadet, he was captain of the academy basketball team. He graduated from West Point in 1943, a member of the first class to complete the curriculum requirements for graduation in three years. While at the academy, he earned his pilot wings, and after graduation he received four-engine transition training at Hendricks Field, Fla.
He next was assigned to the 594th Bombardment Squadron at Moses Lake, Wash., as a pilot and in October 1943 moved with the squadron to Drew Field, Fla. Shortly afterward he joined the 95th Bombardment Group, Eighth Air Force in England. During World War II, he flew 21 missions in Flying Fortresses over Europe, serving as wing lead combat pilot and squadron commander.
After World War II, General Philpott served on the operations staffs of the Second Air Force, Colorado Springs, Colo., and the Eighth Air Force at Carswell Air Force Base, Texas. He attended the Atomic Special Weapons School at Sandia Base, N.M., in 1948, and was later assigned to the 2d Bombardment Group at Chatham Air Force Base, Ga.
In August 1951 General Philpott became chief of the Deployment Branch, Combat Operations Division, Directorate of Operations, Second Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. From April until October 1952, he was assigned to the Far East Air Forces at Yokota, Japan. Following this tour of duty, he returned to his former assignment at Second Air Force Headquarters.
His next assignment was to the 305th Bombardment Wing at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., in May 1956, where he served successively as B-47 pilot, squadron commander, and wing director of operations.
General Philpott was transferred to Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., in April 1958 as chief of the Missions Branch, Operations Plans Division, Directorate of Operations; in September 1958 became chief of the Target Analysis Division of the Directorate of Intelligence; and in September 1960 was assigned duty as chief, National Strategic Target List Division of the Joint Strategic Target Planning Staff. In June 1964 General Philpott became SAC deputy director of intelligence and in August he was named director of intelligence.
In July 1966 he was assigned to the Pacific Air Forces as deputy chief of staff for intelligence for the Seventh Air Force in the Republic of Vietnam. Upon his return to the United States in January 1968, he became deputy assistant chief of staff, Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and in May 1969 he was named assistant chief of staff, Intelligence. The following November, General Philpott became deputy director, Defense Intelligence Agency. He assumed duties as the U.S. Air Forces in Europe vice commander in chief in September 1972.
A command pilot, his military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, and the Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters.