Retired Nov. 1, 1999.
Lieutenant General John B. Hall Jr. is commander of U.S. Forces, Japan, and commander, 5th Air Force at Yokota Air Base, Japan. In these two command positions, he is the senior U.S. military representative in Japan and commander of U.S. Air Force units in Japan respectively
The general entered the Air Force in 1967 after earning a bachelor's degree from the University of Massachusetts. He has commanded three wings: the 18th Tactical Fighter Wing, the 363rd Fighter Wing (later renamed the 20th Fighter Wing) and the 4404th Composite Wing (Provisional). He is a command pilot with more than 3,700 operational hours in the continental United States, Europe, the Pacific and Southwest Asia; and has served in staff positions at the numbered air force, major command, Air Force headquarters and Office of the Secretary of Defense levels. The general has also served as the senior research fellow at the Rand Corp. Prior to his current assignment, he served as director of plans and programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii.
1967 Bachelor's degree in business administration, University of Massachusetts
1973 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1976 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1977 Master's degree in public administration, Golden Gate University
1985 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1988 Advanced Management Program, Texas A&M University
1995 John F. Kennedy School of Government National Security Program, Harvard University
1996 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1. March 1967 - April 1968, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1968 - September 1968, student, F-4 combat crew training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. December 1968 - December 1969, flying training officer and forward air controller, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam
4. February 1970 - July 1970, student, F-4 upgrade training, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
5. September 1970 - September 1971, instructor pilot and forward air controller, 432nd Tactical Fighter Reconnaissance Wing, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
6. October 1971 - April 1975, F-4 instructor pilot and standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 35th Tactical Fighter Wing, George Air Force Base, Calif.
7. April 1975 - April 1978, operations analyst briefing officer, deputy chief of staff, operations and Office of the Special Assistant to the Commander, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
8. July 1978 - July 1981, F-15 flight commander, chief, wing standardization and evaluation division, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
9. July 1981 - August 1982, senior research fellow, Rand Corp., Calif.
10. August 1982 - August 1984, chief, weapons systems branch, tactics and training division, directorate of operations, and executive officer for the deputy chief of staff, plans and operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. August 1984 - June 1985, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 1985 - July 1987, assistant deputy commander, deputy commander for operations and vice commander, 18th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan
13. July 1987 - June 1989, deputy commander for operations, Headquarters 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
14. June 1989 - October 1991, commander, 18th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan
15. October 1991 - April 1992, special assistant to the commander, 18th Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan
16. April 1992 - August 1994, commander, 363rd Fighter Wing (redesignated 20th Fighter Wing), Shaw Air Force Base, S.C. (August 1993 - February 1994, commander, 4404th Composite Wing (Provisional), Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
17. August 1994 - June 1996, director, Asian and Pacific affairs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. June 1996 - June 1997, director of plans and programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
19. June 1997 - present, commander, U.S. Forces, Japan, and commander, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700, including more than 990 combat hours and 435 combat missions
Aircraft flown: F-16, F-15 and F-4
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with 26 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with seven service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 16, 1967
First Lieutenant Sep 16, 1968
Captain Mar 16, 1970
Major May 2, 1978
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 3, 1981
Colonel Nov 1, 1985
Brigadier General Mar 1, 1992
Major General May 25, 1995
Lieutenant General Jun 26, 1997