Retired April 1, 1998.
Lieutenant General John C. "Clark" Griffith is vice commander of Air Education and Training Command, headquartered at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. The command is responsible for recruiting and accessing Air Force personnel and providing them military, technical and flying training.
The general entered the Air Force in September 1963 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Alabama Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has commanded two fighter squadrons, an air base group, a flying training wing, a technical training center and a numbered air force. He is a command pilot with more than 4,600 flying hours in fighter and trainer aircraft. In Vietnam, he flew 280 combat missions as a forward air controller.
1963 Bachelor of arts degree in business administration and management, University of Alabama
1970 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1977 Master's degree in public administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1977 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1963 - October 1964, student, pilot training, Craig Air Force Base, Ala.
2. December 1964 - August 1968, instructor pilot, 3640th Pilot Training Squadron, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
3. August 1968 - August 1969, forward air controller, 1st and 9th Infantry Divisions, Bien Hoa Air Base, South Vietnam
4. September 1969 - April 1972, instructor pilot; later assistant section commander, flight commander and T-37 standardization and evaluation chief, 3617th Pilot Training Squadron, Craig Air Force Base, Ala.
5. April 1972 - July 1973, member of standardization and evaluation team, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
6. July 1973 - August 1976, chief, rated supplement section, Headquarters Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
7. August 1976 - July 1977, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. July 1977 - August 1982, operations officer, 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron; later commander, 335th and 336th Tactical Fighter squadrons, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.
9. August 1982 - June 1983, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1983 - March 1985, chief, flying training branch, directorate of personnel programs, later chief, training programs division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. March 1985 - July 1986, commander, 64th Air Base Group, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
12. July 1986 - July 1987, commander, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
13. July 1987 - March 1988, deputy chief of staff for personnel, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
14. March 1988 - September 1989, director of assignments, Headquarters Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
15. September 1989 - April 1992, vice commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
16. April 1992 - June 1993, commander, Keesler Training Center, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
17. July 1993 - June 1995, commander, 2nd Air Force, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
18. November 1994 - February 1995, commander, Joint Task Force, Southwest Asia (temporary duty)
19. June 1995 - present, vice commander, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,600
Aircraft flown: O-1, OV-10, T-33, T-37, T-38, T-39, F-4 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 13 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with four service stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 2, 1963
First Lieutenant Mar 30, 1965
Captain Apr 2, 1967
Major Jul 1, 1974
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1979
Colonel Nov 1, 1983
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1989
Major General Aug 1, 1992
Lieutenant General Jun 13, 1995