Retired Sep. 1, 1993.
Lieutenant General John E. Jaquish is principal deputy, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
General Jaquish was born in 1937, in Atlantic City, N.J., and graduated from Charlotte Hall Military Academy in Maryland in 1955. He received a bachelor of arts degree in economics from Rutgers University in 1959. The general completed Air Command and Staff College in 1971, and the Army War College in 1980.
He was commissioned as a second lieutenant through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program and entered pilot training in March 1960 at Webb Air Force Base, Texas. In November 1961 he was assigned as an F-102 pilot with the 431st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Zaragoza Air Base, Spain. He returned to the United States in November 1963 and served as an F-102 instructor pilot with the 82nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Perrin Air Force Base, Texas. In September 1966 he transferred to the 539th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J., where he flew F-106s.
From November 1967 to January 1969 he was assigned as an F-4 squadron weapons and tactics officer with the 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. General Jaquish transferred to Headquarters 5th Air Force, Fuchu Air Station, Japan, and served as chief of the Weapons and Tactics Section from June 1969 to June 1970. He then attended Air Command and Staff College.
In September 1971 the general was assigned to the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, as wing weapons and tactics officer. He became a requirements officer at Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va., in October 1972. In July 1974 he was assigned as operations officer of the Tactical Air Command detachment for F-15 follow-on test and evaluation at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
General Jaquish returned to Langley Air Force Base in September 1976 and assumed command of the 1st Tactical Fighter Wing's 27th Tactical Fighter Squadron. After graduation from the Army War College, he transferred to the 405th Tactical Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, as deputy commander for operations. Upon activation of the 325th Fighter Weapons Wing, U.S. Air Force Air Defense Weapons Center, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., in July 1981, he was assigned as its commander.
In April 1983 the general returned to Tactical Air Command headquarters. He served first as assistant deputy chief of staff for requirements, then as inspector general, and later as chief of staff. In October 1986 he was assigned as commander of the U.S. Air Force Tactical Air Warfare Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. From February 1989 to May 1990 he was director, tactical programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition. He assumed his present position in June 1990.
The general is a command pilot. He has more than 3,500 flying hours in the F-102, F-106, F-4 and F-15, and 104 combat missions in the F-4E. His military awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster, National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars, Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
He was promoted to lieutenant general June 1, 1990, with same date of rank.