Lt. Gen. John F. Regni is Commander, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. Air University provides the full spectrum of Air Force education, from pre-commissioning to the highest levels of professional military education, including degree granting and professional continuing education for officers, enlisted, and civilian personnel throughout their careers. Additionally, he is responsible for officer commissioning through Officer Training School and the Reserve Officer Training Corps.
The general was commissioned in the Air Force following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1973. His career has encompassed a wide range of personnel, training and command assignments, and he has served at base, numbered air force, major command, Air Staff and joint unified command levels. These positions include Base Commander at Kunsan Air Base, Director of Personnel at Air Mobility Command and Director of Military Personnel Policy at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. Prior to his current assignment, General Regni served as Commander, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1973 Bachelor of Science degree in biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1977 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1981 Master of Science degree in systems management, St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas
1984 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Advanced Management Program, University of Illinois
1997 Capstone, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1973 - July 1976, personnel officer, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
2. July 1976 - July 1978, Chief of Personnel Utilization, 40th Tactical Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy
3. July 1978 - July 1981, Chief, Force Analysis, and assistant, colonel assignments, Air Force Manpower and Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. July 1981 - August 1983, assistant executive, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1983 - May 1984, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. May 1984 - July 1987, assistant Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. July 1987 - August 1989, Deputy Base Commander, 3380th Air Base Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
8. August 1989 - July 1990, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 1990 - July 1991, Base Commander, 8th Combat Support Group, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
10. July 1991 - August 1994, Director, Manpower, Personnel and Support, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
11. August 1994 - March 1996, Director of Personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. March 1996 - June 1998, Director, Military Personnel Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1998 - August 2000, Director of Personnel Resources, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and Director, Air Force Personnel Operations Agency, Washington, D.C.
14. August 2000 - July 2004, Commander, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
15. July 2004 - present, Commander, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 1973
First Lieutenant June 6, 1975
Captain June 6, 1977
Major Nov. 1, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 1985
Colonel Oct. 1, 1989
Brigadier General Aug. 4, 1996
Major General March 31, 2000
Lieutenant General July 8, 2004