Retired Nov. 1, 2003.
Lt. Gen. John H. Campbell is Associate Director of Central Intelligence for Military Support, Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C. As the principal adviser to the director of central intelligence on military issues, he ensures proper intelligence community support to the services across the spectrum of research and development, acquisition, plans, training and operations. He also coordinates CIA activities in support of military activities and oversees the CIA's Office of Military Affairs.
The general was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC in 1969 at the University of Kentucky. He is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flying hours and has commanded a fighter squadron, fighter group and two fighter wings.
1969 Bachelor of science degree in computer science, University of Kentucky, Lexington
1971 Master's degree in business administration, University of Kentucky, Lexington
1975 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1984 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1992 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1997 Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Senior Information Warfare Applications Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1971 - August 1972, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. December 1973 - August 1975, T-38 instructor pilot, Williams AFB, Ariz.
3. August 1975 - April 1978, T-38 instructor pilot, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. April 1978 - February 1979, fighter lead-in and F-15 training, Holloman AFB, N.M., and Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. February 1979 - March 1982, F-15 pilot, 71st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
6. March 1982 - December 1983, Royal Saudi Air Force F-15 instructor pilot, King Fahad Air Base, Taif, Saudi Arabia
7. January 1984 - June 1984, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
8. July 1984 - July 1987, action officer and executive officer, Directorate of International Programs, the Air Staff, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1987 - July 1988, Chief of Flight Safety, 49th Tactical Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
10. July 1988 - August 1989, operations officer, 9th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
11. August 1989 - July 1991, Commander, 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Keflavik Naval Air Station, Iceland
12. July 1991 - July 1992, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. August 1992 - July 1993, Commander, 36th Operations Group, Bitburg Air Base, Germany
14. August 1993 - May 1995, Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
15. June 1995 - May 1997, Commander, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
16. May 1997 - November 1998, Deputy Director for Operations, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
17. November 1998 - June 2000, Vice Director, Defense Information Systems Agency, and Commander, Joint Task Force-Computer Network Defense, Arlington, Va.
18. June 2000 - present, Associate Director of Central Intelligence for Military Support, Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600
Aircraft flown: T-38, F-15 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Central Intelligence Agency Distinguished Intelligence Medal
National Reconnaissance Distinguished Service Medal
1994 General Jerome O'Malley Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 19, 1969
First Lieutenant Dec 19, 1972
Captain Feb 27, 1975
Major Feb 1, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 1, 1987
Colonel Jan 1, 1992
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1996
Major General Oct 1, 1998
Lieutenant General Oct 6, 2000