Retired June 1, 1987.
Lieutenant General Winston D. Powers is director of the Defense Communications Agency, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for management and directon of the worldwide Defense Communications System. General Powers also provides system engineering and technical support to the Worldwide Military Command and Control System, and technical support for the worldwide military command and control standard automatic data processing systems. The general serves as manager for the National Communications System, with responsibility for providing direction to the communications facilities of various Federal agencies. As director of military command and control system engineering, General Powers provides integration and technical guidance for the implementation of architecture and technical evolution of the system.
General Powers was born in 1930, in Manhattan, N.Y, and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. He has a bachelor of arts degree from McKendree College, Lebanon, Ill.; attended graduate school at The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.; and completed the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, also in Washington, D.C.
He began his military career by enlisting in the U.S. Air Force in November 1950. After basic training he was assigned to the Air Defense Command at Hancock Field, N.Y. He volunteered for navigator training at Ellington Air Force Base, Texas, in September 1952, and graduated the following year. He then had combat crew training at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, and upon completion was assigned as a navigator instructor at Ellington Air Force Base in August 1953.
In May 1957 General Powers entered the Tactical Communications Officer Training School at Scott Air Force Base, Ill. After graduation in June 1958, he was assigned as commander of Detachment 2, 6123rd Air Control and Warning Squadron, Cheju-Do Auxiliary Air Field, South Korea. He returned to Scott Air Force Base in June 1959 for duty with the 1918th Communications Squadron.
From August 1961 to July 1963, General Powers was assigned to the Air Force Command Post at the Pentagon as a communications officer. He was then selected to attend the communications system engineering program of American Telephone and Telegraph Company in New York City. In August 1964 he completed the education-with-industry program and became a communications engineer for the Defense Communications Agency-United Kingdom, located at Royal Air Force Station Croughton, England.
The general transferred to the Tactical Communications Area at Langley Air Force Base, Va., in August 1967, as director of tactical communications operations and then as director of fixed communications operations. He returned to a flying assignment, in July 1970, with the 460th Reconnaissance Wing at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, flying 75 combat missions in EC-47s.
From July 1971 to October 1973, he was assigned to the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as the Air Force member of the Plans and Policy Division, J-6. General Powers then moved to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as special assistant for joint matters in the Directorate of Command, Control and Communications, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Programs and Resources.
When he returned to South Korea in February 1974, General Powers served as commander of the 2146th Communications Group and director of communications-electronics for the 314th Air Division at Osan Air Base. Upon his return to the United States in November 1974, he was again assigned to Air Force headquarters as chief, Plans and Programs Division, Directorate of Command, Control and Communications, where he also served as chairman of the Command, Control and Communications Panel, and later as a member of the Program Review Committee of the Air Staff Board.
The general become deputy director of telecommunications, and command and control resources, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff, Communications and Computer Resources at Air Force headquarters in September 1975. He became the director in June 1978.
In July 1978 General Powers was appointed deputy director of command, control and communications at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He transferred to Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., in October 1978, and served initially as the deputy chief of staff for communications, electronics and computer resources for the North American Aerospace Defense Command and Aerospace Defense Command. He became chief of the Systems Integration Office, Headquarters Aerospace Defense Center in January 1981 and took command of the Space Communications Division at Peterson Air Force Base in January 1983. He assumed his present duties in September 1983.
General Powers is a master navigator with more than 4,000 flying hours. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal, Presidential Unit Citation Emblem and Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon with "V" device.
He was promoted to lieutenant general Oct. 1, 1983.