Retired April 1, 1998.
Major General Allen D. "Doug" Bunger is commander of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service headquartered in Dallas. He has command over a $7.1 billion retail, food and services business that operates nearly 11,000 facilities in 25 countries and 50 states. AAFES employs more than 60,000 associates, many of them military dependents. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service is a military organization that provides quality merchandise and services at uniformly low prices to active duty, National Guard, Reserve members, military retirees and their families. AAFES returns its earnings to the customer to improve the quality of life for military families.
A member of the AAFES Board of Directors since September 1992, General Bunger served as finance committee chairman from September 1992 -1994 and was a member of the finance committee since January.
The general was commissioned through Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in 1967. His career has spanned all levels of budget and comptroller positions, including assignments as base budget officer, major command budget staff officer at three headquarters, base comptroller and major command comptroller. Also, he has served two previous assignments in the directorate of budget, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1967 Bachelor of science degree in business management, University of Arkansas
1970 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1974 Master's degree in public finance and management, Golden Gate University
1978 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1988 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1967 - March 1968, commissioning and training assignments, Air Training Command, Laredo and Sheppard Air Force bases, Texas
2. March 1968 - August 1968, budget officer, Headquarters Continental Air Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
3. August 1968 - July 1971, budget officer, Headquarters Air Force Reserve, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
4. July 1971 - March 1972, base budget officer, 432nd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. March 1972 - May 1975, base budget officer, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
6. May 1975 - August 1976, financial management officer, Airborne Warning and Control System, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
7. August 1976 - June 1979, budget staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
8. June 1979 - June 1981, base comptroller, 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
9. July 1981 - August 1984, chief of budget operations, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
10. August 1984 - July 1987, chief of integrated management funds and assistant deputy director of budget operations, deputy chief of staff, comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1987 - June 1988, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 1988 - April 1992, deputy chief of staff for financial management and comptroller, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
13. April 1992 - May 1993, director of budget operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
14. May 1993 - June 1995, deputy assistant secretary (budget), Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
15. July 1995 - present, commander, Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Dallas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Vietnam Service Medal with two bronze service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 30, 1967
First Lieutenant Dec 30, 1968
Captain Jun 30, 1970
Major May 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Sep 1, 1983
Colonel Dec 1, 1986
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1992
Major General Sep 28, 1994
"O&M Support: The Orphan's Orphan," Air Force Comptroller Magazine, January 1980