Retired Aug. 1, 1969.
Major General Andrew John Kinney is commander of the Armament Development and Test Center (formerly Air Proving Ground Center), at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
General Kinney was born in Macon, Ga., in 1914. He attended elementary and high schools in Macon and then entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. Upon graduation in 1939 he obtained a bachelor of science degree in military science and engineering and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He completed pilot training in 1940 at Kelly Field, Texas.
He was assigned to Randolph Field, Texas, as instructor in the flying school and during the ensuing years he commanded various other flying schools. In 1944 he assumed command of Biggs Field, Texas. Later that year, he became executive officer to the Deputy Supreme Allied Commander, Southeast Asia and commander of U.S. troops in Ceylon.
Following graduation from the Army War College in 1946 he was assigned to the Plans Division, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Organization, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, where he served until 1950. At the beginning of the Korean War, General Kinney was assigned to the Joint Strategic Plans and Operations Group with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. He later became a member of the United Nations Truce Team in Korea.
In 1953 following graduation from the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., he returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as Air Staff adviser to the National Security Council. The following year he was appointed assistant to the director of plans for National Security Council affairs. In 1955 he became executive assistant to the secretary of the Air Force and later served as director of the Office of Information Services, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force.
He was assigned as commander, Chanute Technical Training Center in June 1957. During the period May 1959 through May 1962, he served in France as chief, Plans Branch, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe.
In July 1962 General Kinney returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force and was assigned as director of development planning, Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development; and in February 1964 he became assistant deputy chief of staff, research and development.
He assumed command of the Air Proving Ground Center in August 1966. The center was renamed the Armament Development and Test Center Aug. 1, 1968.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster and Army Commendation Medal.