Retired March 1, 1971.
Major General Andrew Stevenson Low Jr., is director of aerospace programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Programs and Resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He is responsible for overall control in formulating, directing and amending Air Force programs in accordance with decisions rendered by higher authorities. This includes analyzing and evaluating program and force projections for balance, phasing and feasibility in relation to availability of resources.
General Low was born in Westerly, R.I., in 1917, and completed public school there. He attended Rhode Island College of Education for three years, and left to enter the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He was awarded a bachelor of science degree and a commission as second lieutenant from the latter in 1942. In 1963 he was awarded a master of arts degree in international affairs from The George Washington University.
In June 1936 General Low enlisted in Battery "E", 243rd Coast Artillery (HD), Rhode Island National Guard, and served in the National Guard until he entered the U.S. Military Academy.
Upon graduation from West Point he completed pilot and combat crew training, and instructed briefly in four-engine bomber crew training units. In September 1943 he was ordered to the 453rd Bombardment Group (B-24 Liberator) as assistant group operations officer and arrived in England with this unit in January 1944.
He became a squadron commander, then group operations officer, and flew 16 combat missions. On his 16th mission, July 31, 1944, his aircraft was shot down by antiaircraft fire over Ludwigshafen, Germany, and he spent the remainder of the war in a hospital and prison camp.
Upon liberation, General Low was assigned to G-2, War Department General Staff in Washington, D.C. In 1947 he was transferred to the newly constituted Office of the Secretary of the Air Force as assistant executive officer.
In 1950 he entered the Air Command and Staff School and attended both the Regular and Logistics courses. In May 1951 he was ordered to Headquarters Strategic Air Command, at Omaha, Neb., where he served for four years as executive officer to the director of operations. He was then transferred to Paris, France, for six months as the SAC representative at Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe.
In October 1955 he was ordered to Schilling Air Force Base, Kan. After completion of B-47 transition training, he served successively as deputy commander, 40th Bombardment Wing; then director of operations, 802d Air Division; and finally as commander, 40th Bombardment Wing. He attended the Air War College, 1958-1959.
General Low then was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force where he served as chief, Aeronautical Systems Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Development. He became director of systems acquisition, Deputy Chief of Staff for Systems and Logistics, in August 1961. In November 1961 he was assigned as military assistant to the assistant director (Strategic Weapons) in the Office of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering, Office of the Secretary of Defense.
In July 1964 he was named deputy director of the Joint Test and Evaluation Task Force, U.S. Strike Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. In August 1965 he became chief, Air Force Section, U.S. Military Mission for Aid to Turkey, and was stationed in Ankara.
He returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in August 1967 and was named assistant for logistics planning, Deputy Chief of Staff for Systems and Logistics, and in August 1969 assumed duties as director of aerospace programs, Deputy Chief of Staff for Programs and Resources.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Commendation Medal and the Purple Heart. He is authorized to wear the Missleman Badge and the wings of a command pilot in the Turkish Air Force.