Maj. Gen. Arthur J. Rooney Jr. is Commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the Commander, General Rooney is AFMC's focal point for administering the Air Force's $101 billion security assistance budget supporting foreign military sales to more than 100 countries, operating more than 6,600 aircraft and other weapons systems. He develops and executes international agreements and manages the command's international affairs and all foreign disclosure policies. The general is also the Command International Liaison to Secretary of the Air Force, Department of Defense, NATO, foreign embassies and defense ministries.
General Rooney was born in Charleston, S.C. He is a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program at Baptist College in Charleston. He has held assignments in the maintenance, logistics and programming fields at squadron, wing, major command, Air Force headquarters and Joint Staff levels. The general has also served two command assignments with Air Mobility Command, and most recently commanded the 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in production management, Baptist College, Charleston, S.C.
1978 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1982 Master of Science degree in management, Webster University
1985 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
1998 Advanced Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1999 Advanced Management Program, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
1. January 1975 - July 1975, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
2. August 1975 - January 1978, field maintenance supervisor, 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. January 1978 - March 1978, student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. March 1978 - October 1980, officer in charge, C-130 Flightline and Enroute Branch, and maintenance control officer, 435th Tactical Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, West Germany
5. October 1980 - November 1981, Air Staff Training Program executive officer and airlift maintenance staff officer, Directorate of Maintenance and Supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. November 1981 - August 1984, maintenance management systems officer and Chief, Concepts and Procedures Branch, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 1984 - June 1985, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1985 - August 1988, Commander, 625th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Torrejon AB, Spain
9. August 1988 - July 1991, Chief, Special Operations Forces Logistics Section, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1991 - June 1992, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1992 - August 1995, Chief, Pacific Plans, Logistics Plans and Exercise Division, Logistics Directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1995 - July 1997, Commander, 437th Logistics Group, Charleston AFB, S.C.
13. July 1997 - March 1999, Director of Commodities and Director, Space and Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Systems, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
14. March 1999 - January 2000, Associate Director for Logistics Resources, Directorate of Supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. January 2000 - February 2002, Director of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. February 2002 - July 2004, Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
17. July 2004 - present, Commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 18, 1975
First Lieutenant Jan. 18, 1977
Captain Jan. 18, 1979
Major May 1, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1989
Colonel Jan. 1, 1995
Brigadier General April 1, 2001
Major General Feb. 1, 2005