Retired March 1, 1999.
Major General Bryan G. Hawley is judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He serves as the Air Force's senior uniformed attorney responsible for furnishing legal advice, opinions and assistance on a wide variety of subjects to the chief of staff, Air Staff and Air Force commanders and agencies worldwide. He oversees the provision of legal services by 1,330 Air Force judge advocates, 250 civilian attorneys, 894 enlisted paralegals and 720 other civilian employees.
The general entered the Air Force in October 1967 and has served as a staff judge advocate of base, numbered air force and major command legal offices. He was a military judge, was assigned as the military assistant to the Air Force General Counsel and was commander of the Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the staff judge advocate at Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
1964 Bachelor of science degree in accounting, University of North Dakota
1967 Juris doctorate degree, University of North Dakota
1985 National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1967 - June 1969, chief of civil law and chief of military justice, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
2. July 1969 - June 1970, chief of military affairs and civil law and a certified military judge, 21st Air Base Group, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
3. July 1970 - July 1972, chief of civil law, Headquarters Alaskan Air Command, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
4. July 1972 - June 1976, faculty member, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
5. June 1976 - June 1979, staff judge advocate, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
6. July 1979 - June 1981, chief, Preventive Law and Legal Aid Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1981 - July 1984, military assistant to the Air Force General Counsel, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1984 - July 1985, National War College, Washington, D.C.
9. July 1985 - May 1988, chief judge, 6th Judicial Circuit, Rhein-Main Air Base, West Germany
10. May 1988 - May 1990, staff judge advocate, 9th Air Force and United States Central Command Air Forces, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
11. May 1990 - August 1991, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Military Airlift Command; and chief counsel, United States Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
12. August 1991 - July 1992, director, Air Force Judiciary, Washington, D.C.
13. July 1992 - April 1994, commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
14. April 1994 - February 1996, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
15. February 1996 - present, judge advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1964
First Lieutenant May 31, 1967
Captain Apr 15, 1968
Major May 1, 1976
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1979
Colonel Nov 1, 1984
Brigadier General Jul 15, 1994
Major General Feb 12, 1996