Died May 1, 1970.
Byron Elihu Gates was born in Aberdeen, S.D., in 1895. After attending the University of Montana, he enlisted in April 1917 and was assigned to the 19th Aero Squadron at Kelly Field, Texas, moving to Wright Field, Ohio, that August.
Entering Ground School at Urbana, Ill., in January l918, General Gates graduated the following month and then became a flying cadet at Love Field, Texas. He was commissioned a temporary second lieutenant in the Air Service July 31, 1918, and became an instructor at Brooks Field, Texas, going to Kelly Field, Texas, the following January for duty with the Air Service Mechanics' School. Assigned as a motor transport officer at Chanute Field, Ill., in July 1921, three months later he returned to Kelly Field for duty with the Second Bomb Group, joining the Third Attack Group in November 1921, and three months later transferring to the 90th Attack Squadron there. He was an instructor at the Advanced Flying School, Kelly Field, Texas, from February 1924 to January 1926.
Going to the Philippines, General Gates served with the 28th Bomb Squadron at Camp Nichols. Joining the Fifth Observation Squadron at Mitchell Field, N.Y., in April 1928, he became an instructor with the 27th Aviation Division of the New York National Guard at Miller Field, N.Y. In January 1930 and in October 1933 he was appointed assistant to the Second Corps Area Air Officer at Governor's Island, N.Y.
Transferred to Maxwell Field, Ala., in January 1934, General Gates was Fourth Corps Area property auditor. That September he entered the Air Corps Tactical School there, graduated in June 1935, and remained there as an instructor. Going to Air Corps headquarters in July 1940, he was a member of the Plans Division in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps. He became director of management control there a year and a half later, and assumed additional duty as a member of the Personnel Matters Board in September 1943.
Assigned as senior air member of the United States Mission to Brazil in June 1945, the following month General Gates was appointed a deputy commander of the U.S. Army Forces in the South Atlantic. He joined the Air Training Command in March 1947 as deputy commander and chief of staff of the Flying Division at Randolph Field, Texas, assuming command of Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., and the 3345th Technical Training Wing, ATRC, in October 1949.
Recalled to active duty Aug. 1, 1955, he was assigned at ATRC Headquarters, Scott Air Force Base, Ill, with duty station at Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit. He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and aircraft observer.