Retired July 1, 1999.
Major General Charles H. Perez is commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center and installation commander, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He is responsible for providing worldwide logistics support for assigned Air Force weapon systems which include the 135-series aircraft, B-1B, B-52 and B-2 bombers, and the E-3 Sentry aircraft. As installation commander, he is host to several associate organizations including Air Combat Command's 552nd Air Control Wing, the Navy's Strategic Communications Wing One, the Reserve's 507th Wing, 38th Engineering Installation Wing, Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Finance and Accounting Service and Defense Information Service Organization.
The general entered the Air Force in January 1968 through Officer Training School and was commissioned in March 1968. After five years as a weapons controller, including a tour in Vietnam, he served as a logistics staff officer and chief of numerous logistics divisions at Headquarters Tactical Air Command. From 1982 through 1985 he was the chief Air Force logistician in the Joint U.S. Military Assistance Group, Madrid, Spain. From 1985 through 1987 he was commander of Detachment 19, managing the programmed depot maintenance of U.S. Air Force Europe-based F-4s and F-15s, and the co-production of the Spanish air force's and the U.S. Navy's F-18s. In 1989 he was assigned to Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah, where he served successively as director of the contracting and manufacturing directorate; director of the commodities directorate, and vice commander. In 1994 he became the 377th Air Base Wing commander, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. Before assuming his current position, he served as director of logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
1967 Bachelor of science degree in chemistry, Florida Atlantic University
1974 Master of science degree in systems and logistics, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1977 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 Education-with-Industry program, General Dynamics Corp., Fort Worth, Texas
1981 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1982 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1988 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1991 Department of Defense Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1992 Executive Program for Senior Officials in National Security, Harvard University, Mass.
1. January 1968 - March 1968, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 1968 - March 1970, controller, Headquarters Armament Development Test Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
3. March 1970 - June 1971, weapons controller, 619th Tactical Control Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam
4. June 1971 - July 1973, weapons controller, 644th Radar Squadron, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
5. July 1973 - August 1974, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
6. August 1974 - July 1977, logistics officer, Headquarters Air Force Southern Command, Howard Air Force Base, Panama
7. August 1977 - July 1978, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. July 1978 - July 1979, student, General Dynamics Corp., Fort Worth, Texas
9. July 1979 - July 1981, logistics officer, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
10. July 1981 - March 1982, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
11. March 1982 - June 1985, logistics officer, Joint U.S. Military Assistance Group, Madrid, Spain
12. July 1985 - June 1988, U.S. Air Force detachment commander, Casa Getafe, Madrid, Spain
13. June 1988 - July 1989, deputy for Pacific, Asian, Americas and Arabian programs, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
14. July 1989 - October 1989, director, contracting and manufacturing directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
15. October 1989 - May 1993, director, commodities directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
16. May 1993 - February 1994, vice commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
17. February 1994 - June 1995, commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
18. June 1995 - May 1996, director of logistics, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
19. May 1996 - present, commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center; installation commander, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Vietnam Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 28, 1968
First Lieutenant Sep 28, 1969
Captain Mar 28, 1971
Major Sep 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Feb 1, 1984
Colonel Jun 1, 1988
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1993
Major General Aug 1, 1996