Retired Jan. 31, 1963. Died Dec. 27, 1993.
Charles W. Schott was born at Providence, R.I., Sept. 25, 1906. He attended public schools in Providence, Brown University and the University of Michigan.
In June 1930 he entered the Air Corps as a flying cadet and after attending the Air Corps Primary Flying School at Brooks Field, Texas, and the Air Corps Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas, graduated in March 1931 with the rating of pilot and was commissioned a second lieutenant Air Corps Reserve on June 22, 1931. He was then assigned to the 27th Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, Selfridge Field, Mich., and served there on active duty until Aug. 31, 1932 at which time he was relieved from active duty and entered the employ of American Airlines.
From September 1932 until March 1935 he participated in the Air Corps Reserve program in an inactive duty status. On March 16, 1935 he was appointed a second lieutenant, National Guard of the United States, in the 103d Observation Squadron, Pennsylvania National Guard. Subsequently and in connection with changes of assignment in his civilian positions, he served in the Air National Guard of New Jersey, Missouri and Michigan.
On Oct. 15, 1940, as a member of the 107th Observation Squadron, Michigan National Guard, he was called into Federal service for duty at Alexandria, La. At that time, he was a first lieutenant squadron operations officer. On Aug. 20, 1941 he was promoted to captain. With activation of the 67th Observation Group at Alexandria in December 1941, he was appointed group operations Officer. On Feb. 1, 1942 he was promoted to major.
In July 1942 he was ordered to the Command and Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., but was recalled for movement overseas with the 67th Observation Group which departed for England in August 1942. He remained operations officer of that organization until April 1943 when he was assigned as assistant chief of staff, A-3, Headquarters VIII Air Support Command. In November 1943 he was assigned to Headquarters 9th Air Force as assistant deputy chief of staff, A-3 and remained in that organization until his return from Germany to the United States in June 1945. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel in May 1943 and to colonel in November of that same year.
Upon return to the United States he served as chief of Military Air Transport in the Continental Division, Air Transport Command until April 1946 when he was transferred to the Pentagon for duty in connection with Reserve and National Guard Affairs.
On July 5, 1947 he was integrated into the Air Corps of the Regular Army.
While serving as special assistant to the chief of staff, U.S. Air Force, in June 1950 he was selected for attendance at the National War College in Washington, D.C. and graduated from that school a year later. Subsequent to graduation he was assigned to Headquarters Eighth Air Force for duty as director of plans and in September 1951 was appointed chief of staff, Eighth Air Force.
He was given a temporary appointment as brigadier general Oct. 9, 1952 and was subsequently appointed deputy commander of Eighth Air Force.
In June 1954 General Schott was assigned duty as commander, 47th Air Division, SAC, at Walker Air Force Base, N.M., where he served for more than two years. He was transferred from the 47th Air Division to command of SAC Forces in the Far East with headquarters at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, in September of 1956.
General Schott was promoted to the rank of major general in October 1957.
In September 1958 he was transferred to duty as deputy commander, Second Air Force, SAC, with headquarters at Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
General Schott was assigned to his present duty as deputy inspector general, U.S. Air Force, at Norton Air Force Base, Calif., in September 1959.
General Schott holds the rating of command pilot and has been awarded the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster; the Bronze Star, Croix de Guerre with Palm from France, Luxembourg, Belgium and other decorations.