Retired Feb. 1, 1973. Died Dec. 18, 1976.
Major General Clifford W. Hargrove is deputy director of operations, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
General Hargrove was born in 1919, in Dutch Mills, Ark. He graduated from Valencia High School, Placentia, Calif., in 1936, and continued his education at California State Polytechnic College at San Luis Obispo, Calif. In April 1942 he entered the Army Air Corps aviation cadet program and in April 1943 completed his flying training at Moody Field, Ga., where he received his pilot wings and commission as a second lieutenant.
From April 1943 to February 1945, General Hargrove was stationed at Del Rio Army Air Field, Texas, and then Barksdale Army Air Field, La., as a B-26 aircraft pilot. He then was assigned to the 6th Air Refueling Squadron at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, where he spent 23 months flying the B-17 Flying Fortress in the Pacific area.
He returned to the United States in January 1948 and assumed duties as adjutant of the 47th Air Base Group at Biggs Air Force Base, Texas, and later served in various other staff positions. In September 1948 he began a tour of duty as an air attache in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
General Hargrove returned to the United States in December 1950 and was assigned as a member of a cadre being formed to reactivate the 44th Bombardment Wing at March Air Force Base, Calif. In July 1951 he moved with the cadre to Lake Charles Air Force Base, La., where the wing became operational, and remained with the 44th serving in various capacities, for the next two years. In July 1953 he was assigned to Yokota Air Base, Japan, where he served as an aircraft commander on a B-29 Super Fortress.
He returned to the United States in March 1954. After six months of radar and navigation training at James Connally Air Force Base, Texas, and B-47 combat crew training at McConnell Air Force Base, Kans., he was assigned as an aircraft commander in the 2d Bombardment Wing at Hunter Air Force Base, Ga. He also served as commander of the 96th Bombardment Squadron and chief of maintenance for the wing.
In January 1959 General Hargrove became commander of the 379th Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla. Five months later he assumed duties as deputy commander for maintenance for the 379th Bombardment Wing.
In January 1961 he entered B-52 Stratofortress Combat Crew Training School at Castle Air Force Base, Calif. In March 1961 he was assigned to the Directorate of Personnel at Eighth Air Force Headquarters, Westover Air Force Base, Mass.
General Hargrove attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in Washington, D.C., from August 1963 to June 1964. He then went to Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y., to serve as vice commander of the 416th Bombardment Wing. In January 1967 he became commander of the 17th Bombardment Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
In July 1967 General Hargrove assumed command of the 19th Bombardment Wing, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla., and in July 1968 went to Ramey Air Force Base, Puerto Rico, to command the 72d Bombardment Wing.
General Hargrove became commander of the 4th Strategic Aerospace Division, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D., in May 1969, and was appointed chief of staff, Second Air Force, at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., in March 1970.
In March 1971, General Hargrove assumed duties as deputy director of operations, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
He is a command pilot. His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Army Commendation Medal, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon, and Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon.
General Hargrove's hometown is Crescent City, Fla.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Oct. 1, 1971, with date of rank Dec. 3, 1967.