Retired June 30, 1957. Died Feb. 6, 1980.
Colby Maxwell Myers was born in Washington D.C., in 1903. After graduating from high school in 1921, he entered the U.S. Military Academy, graduated and was appointed a second lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers June 12, 1925. His first assignment was as a company officer and assistant adjutant at Fort Humphreys, Va.
In June 1926, General Myers entered Cornell University, from which he received a Civil Engineering degree the following year. He graduated from the Engineer School in June 1926, and was assigned to Fort Du Pont, Del.
During the following six years, General Myers served at Fort Du Pont; with the Third Engineers at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii; as commander of a Civilian Conservation Corps company at Fort Lawton, Wash., and as assistant district engineer at Portland, Ore. In 1934 he became assistant and executive of the Bonneville Dam Project where he served four years.
Graduating from the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in 1939, the general remained there as an instructor. He later became chief of the Publication and Extension Course Section of the Engineer School. In August 1942 he assumed command of the 323rd Engineer Amphibian Command at Camp Edwards Mass.; became commander of the 594th Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment at Camp Edwards in April 1943; and in October 1943 was appointed executive officer of the Fourth Engineer Special Brigade at Camp Gordon Johnston, Fla.
Moving with the brigade to Camp Stoneman, Calif., in April 1944, a month later General Myers accompanied it to the Southwest Pacific. In December 1945, after the brigade had moved into Japan, he assumed command of it. In April 1946 he became assistant engineer of the Eighth Army in Japan, serving until November 1946.
In January 1947 General Myers was appointed staff engineer of Strategic Air Installations Section of Strategic Air Command at Andrews Air Force Base, Washington, D.C., becoming chief of the section seven months later.
Designated director of installations in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Materiel at U.S. Air Force Headquarters in June 1948, General Myers, three months later, was named deputy director of installations in that office. He was appointed director of installations in May 1950 and the following December again became deputy director of installations. In January 1952 he was designated director of installations in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, and the following June became assistant to the deputy chief of staff for operations.
Going to Wiesbaden, Germany in August 1952 for duty as special assistant to the commander in chief of the U.S. Air Forces in Europe, General Myers was appointed deputy chief of staff for installations of the U.S. Air Forces in Europe in January 1953.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal and the Army Commendation Ribbon.