Retired Nov. 1, 1993.
Major General Dale C. Tabor is commander, Sheppard Training Center, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
General Tabor was born in 1938, in Clyde, Texas, where he graduated from high school in 1956. He earned a bachelor of science degree from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1961 and a master of science degree in aeronautical engineering from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1970. The general completed Air Command and Staff College in 1973, and National War College in 1980.
Upon graduation from the academy, he entered undergraduate pilot training at Webb Air Force Base, Texas. He completed F-100 training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., and then was assigned to the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing at Royal Air Force Station Lakenheath, England, until August 1967.
The general completed Tactical Fighter Weapons School at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., while en route to the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing, Phan Rang Air Base, South Vietnam. He flew 366.5 combat hours during 223 combat missions in F-100s in Southeast Asia.
In February 1969 General Tabor began studying for a master's degree through the Air Force Institute of Technology program at UCLA. After graduating he served as an operations staff officer for the Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va., from September 1970 to mid 1972, when he entered the Air Command and Staff College.
General Tabor then was assigned to George Air Force Base, Calif., flying F-4 Phantoms. He served as an F-4 instructor pilot and assistant operations officer for the 434th Tactical Fighter Squadron, and later became wing executive officer. In 1974 he was one of four pilots chosen to participate in the A-10/A-7 evaluation fly-off directed by Congress. He subsequently returned to George Air Force Base and resumed F-4 instructor duty. In 1975 he was assigned to the A-10 initial operational test and evaluation team at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
From August 1976 to July 1979 General Tabor was assigned to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. He initially served as deputy commander for operations for the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing and later was commander of the 333rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, the Air Force's first A-10 squadron. Upon completion of National War College in July 1980, the general was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as chief of the Tactical Fighter Requirements Division in the Directorate of Research, Development and Acquisition.
The general was transferred to the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Bentwaters, England, in April 1982 and became wing commander in August 1982. In March 1984 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany, and served as inspector general until June 1985, when he became assistant deputy chief of staff for operations. In May 1988 the general became commander of Technical Training Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo. He assumed his present command in March 1991.
The general is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours. His military awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with 10 oak leaf clusters and Air Force Commendation Medal.
He was promoted to major general July 1, 1988, with same date of rank.