Retired Aug. 1, 1962. Died May 5, 1985.
Major General Daniel Edwin Hooks, commander of the Office of Aerospace Research, was born at Iowa Park, Texas, in 1908.
He received his bachelor of science degree in physics from Texas Christian University in 1929, and his master's in the same field from Harvard University in 1932.
Appointed a flying cadet in June 1932, General Hooks entered Primary Flying School at Randolph Field, Texas. The following June he graduated from Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Air Corps Reserve.
He received an appointment as a second lieutenant in the Regular Army in June 1935, and was assigned as a flying instructor at Randolph Field, Texas.
Four years later, he was assigned as assistant supervisor of the Primary Flying School, Dallas, serving in succession as supervisor at Fort Worth and Bonham, Texas.
In January 1942, General Hooks was ordered to Air Corps headquarters, Washington, D.C., where he served as a staff officer. In June, he returned to Kelly Field as assistant chief of the Sub-Depot Section, San Antonio Air Depot.
Assuming command of the 55th Air Depot Group there in February 1944, he subsequently took it to Wheeler Field, Hawaii. He went to Guam in December 1944, and was chief of the Personnel and Services Division, Guam Air Depot, Harmon Field.
From March 1946 to June 1947, he took postgraduate work in nuclear physics at Ohio State University. After that, he was assigned to the Tactical and Technical Liaison Committee at Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, N.M. In July 1948, he became chief of Research and Development Field Office for Atomic Energy (a new designation for the Tactical and Technical Liaison Committee).
Next, he went to the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in August 1949. After completion of this course in June 1950, he was named deputy chief of staff for research and development at the Air Force Special Weapons Center at Kirtland. He became chief of staff there in 1951 and vice commander in 1953. In 1954, he returned to Air Force headquarters as chief, AFOAT-1, Deputy Chief of Staff/Operations. He became commander, AFMDC, in July 1958. In September 1960, he became commander of the Air Force Research Division. General Hooks continued as commander when AFRD was designated the Office of Aerospace Research April 1, 1961 with the status of a separate operating agency reporting directly to the chief of staff, U.S. Air Force.
General Hooks is the holder of the Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster, and the Air Medal. He is rated as a command pilot.