Retired Aug. 6, 1970.
Major General Daniel E. Riley is assistant director of plans, programs, and systems, Defense Supply Agency, Alexandria, Va.
General Riley was born in 1915, in Flint, Mich., where he graduated from Flint Central High School, in 1913,and from Flint Junior College, in 1936. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Infantry Reserve in 1936, and transferred to the Army Air Corps Reserve, in 1941, shortly after his graduation from the University of Detroit with a bachelor of science degree in aeronautical engineering.
On active duty prior to World War II, he served at Wright Field, Ohio, as an aircraft production engineering officer until January 1947. In this capacity, he pioneered development and production of military helicopters. From November 1947 until January 1949, he was assigned as assistant chief of the Special Aircraft and Missiles Branch, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
In 1949, he began studies at the University of Michigan under the Air Force Institute of Technology Program and in 1951 received a master's degree in business administration.
In 1951 he was assigned as chief of plans and operations for the 7290th Procurement Squadron at Rhein/Main Air Base, Germany. In 1952 he became deputy and later, chief of the Procurement and Production Division at Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and also commander of the 7290th Procurement Squadron.
He returned to the United States in 1954 and was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force with the Directorate of Procurement and Production, Deputy Chief of Staff, Materiel. In August 1958 he entered the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in Washington, D.C.
In July 1959 he returned to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and was assigned to the Air Research and Development Command as Program Director for the MACE missile. In November 1959 he became the program director of the 465L Strategic Air Command Control Systems. In June 1960 he was transferred with the 465L Systems Office to L.G. Hanscom Field in Bedford, Mass., as part of the Electronics Systems Division of the Air Force Systems Command. From 1961 to 1964 he was assistant deputy for systems management at ESD, in 1964 became the deputy for command systems management, and in July 1965 was appointed vice commander of the Electronics Systems Division.
In October 1965 General Riley assumed command of the Air Force Systems Command's Air Force Contract Management Division at Los Angeles Air Force Station, Calif.
In August 1969 he became the assistant director of plans, programs, and systems for the Defense Supply Agency at Cameron Station, Alexandria, Va.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters and the Army Commendation Medal.
General Riley's hometown is Port Huron, Mich.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective May 1, 1968, with date of rank Jan. 16, 1964.