Maj. Gen. David E. Tanzi is Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He is responsible for the daily operations of the command, which employs about 76,100 Citizen Airmen and consists of more than 370 aircraft among three numbered air forces, 36 wings, three flying groups, one space group and 620 mission support units. Air Force Reserve Command supports the Air Force mission to defend the United States through control and exploitation of air and space by supporting Global Engagement. AFRC plays an integral role in the day-to-day Air Force mission.
General Tanzi is a native of Hanover, N.H., and entered the Air Force through the Ohio Air National Guard in 1968. He earned his wings in 1970 and is a fighter weapons school graduate. He has commanded at the squadron, group, wing and numbered air force levels. The general is a command pilot with more than 4,500 flying hours in several fighter aircraft and has flown combat missions over Northern Iraq in support of Operation Provide Comfort II.
1965 Bachelor of Science degree in education, State University of New York, Cortland
1967 Master's degree in education, Ohio State University, Columbus
1974 Squadron Officer School
1974 Air Command and Staff College
1987 Air War College
1996 Capstone, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1969 - April 1970, student, pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. May 1970 - November 1970, student, F-100 training, Arizona Air National Guard, Tucson, Ariz.
3. December 1970 - October 1972, F-100 fighter pilot, 166th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Lockbourne AFB, Ohio
4. November 1972 - October 1973, F-105 pilot, 465th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5. November 1973 - September 1977, F-100 instructor pilot and flight examiner, 128th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Dobbins AFB, Ga.
6. October 1977 - October 1981, F-105 and F-4 flight examiner, 457th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
7. November 1981 - February 1985, Commander, 89th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. March 1985 - November 1985, Deputy Commander for Operations, 906th Tactical Fighter Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. December 1985 - July 1987, Deputy Commander for Operations, later, Commander, 917th Tactical Fighter Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. July 1987 - July 1993, Commander, 906th Fighter Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. July 1993 - February 1999, Commander, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
12. February 1999 - March 2002, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
13. March 2002 - January 2005, Commander, 10th Air Force, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas
14. January 2005 - present, Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,500
Aircraft flown: F-100, F-105, F-4, A-10 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and three bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
2001 Order of the Sword
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Life member, Reserve Officer Association
Life member, Air Force Association
Life member, Order of Daedalians
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 13, 1969
First Lieutenant June 23, 1971
Captain Aug. 9, 1974
Major June 7, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 4, 1984
Colonel July 1, 1988
Brigadier General Feb. 29, 1996
Major General Feb. 29, 2000