Military Bios

Major General David William Hutchison:

Military Branch:United States Airforce
Position: Major General Davis C. Rohr
Died Sep. 24, 1982.
David William Hutchison was born at Mineral Point, Wis., on May 21, 1908. He attended elementary schools and high school there, after which he received an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
Graduated from West Point with an Army commission of second lieutenant in June 1931, young Hutchison immediately began aviation cadet training with the Air Corps and was awarded his wings at Kelly Field, Texas, a year later.
His first duty assignment with the Air Corps was in Panama, where he served two years with a bombardment group flying keystone bombers. An assignment to the 1st Pursuit Group, Selfridge Field, Mich., followed.
In September 1938 Lieutenant Hutchison was transferred to Lowry Field, Colo., where he subsequently held several important assignments and established a widespread reputation in the field of photographic aerial reconnaissance. He was officer in charge of flying instructions in the photographic department for a time, and later was named assistant director of the photographic department.
Shortly before the United States entered World War II, Major Hutchison was sent to England as a military observer in photo reconnaissance. He returned to Washington in 1942 as photo representative on the Air Staff. Later that year he established a photo reconnaissance overseas training unit at Colorado Springs, Colo., and was commanding officer of the Army Air Base there.
In January 1943, Colonel Hutchison began another overseas tour of duty, this time with the Fifth Air Force in the Far East, where he was successively commander of the 6th Photo Group, deputy chief of staff of operations, commander of the Second Task Force, and commander of the 308th Bomb Wing. Units under his command participated in major amphibious landings at Wadke Island, Biak, Leyte and Luzon, and spearheaded much of the advance of our armed forces in the Pacific, from New Guinea to Tokyo. During this period of combat service in the Far East he was highly commended for his leadership and decorated for outstanding and courageous flights and personal feats of bravery.
Following Japan's surrender, General Hutchison remained in Korea an additional year in command of occupational air forces. This was followed by a tour as commander of the 314th Air Division in Japan. Upon his return to the United States in February 1947, he became chief of staff for operations at Strategic Air Command headquarters. Later assignments were commander of the 97th Bombardment Wing, Biggs Air Force Base, El Paso, Texas, and of the 21st Air Division, Forbes Air Force Base, Topeka, Kan.
From Forbes Air Force Base, Kan., he went to North Africa as commander of the Fifth Air Division. While there, he organized and was the first commander of the 17th Air Force.
He returned to the United States in April 1954, and was assigned to Tactical Air Command headquarters as deputy for operations. In August 1958, he assumed command of Ninth Air Force (TAC) with headquarters at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
General Hutchison is credited with flying 172 combat missions with a total of 267 combat hours during World War II. He piloted almost every type of bomber built during the war and has amassed more than 6,000 hours flying time.
Distinguished Service Medal
Silver Star
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Purple Heart
Air Defense Service Medal
American Theatre Medal
Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal
Philippine Liberation Ribbon
World War II Victory Medal
Army Occupation Medal (Japan)
National Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with six oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Service Order (British)
Ouissam Alaouite (French)
While commanding Forbes Air Force Base, Topeka, Kan., was commended by Governor Edward F. Arn, in a letter to the commanding general of the Air Force, for "... outstanding leadership and efficiency demonstrated throughout the various flood emergencies occurring along the Kansas River during the period May 15 to July 22, and on all the major streams of eastern Kansas during the period July 2 to July 20, 1951.";";"; "MajorGeneralDavisCRohr


Copyright 2005 - Military Bios