Retired Feb. 1, 1958. Died Oct. 2, 1989.
Dudley Durward Hale was burn in Perry, Mo., in 1904. He graduated from high school in Chattanooga, Tenn., in 1922, and from the University of Chattanooga in 1926.
Appointed a Flying Cadet in February 1928, General Hale completed his flying training a year later and was commissioned a year later a second lieutenant in the Air Reserve. Receiving his regular commission as a second lieutenant of Air Corps May 2, 1929, he was assigned with the Second Bomb Group at Langley Field, Va., becoming a flying instructor at the Advanced Flying School, Kelly Field, Texas, in June 1931. Entering the communications course at the Signal School, Fort Monmouth. N.J., in September 1934, he graduated the following June and returned to Lang1ey Field as communications officer of the Eighth Pursuit Group, later serving as flying commander and squadron adjutant with that group, and assuming command of the Second Communications Squadron there in November 1938.
The following September General Hale was named communications officer and adjutant of the 23rd Composite Group at Maxwell Field, Ala., graduated from the Air Corps Tactical School there in July, and rejoined the 23rd group at Orlando Air Base, Fla. Going to the Panama Canal Zone in April 1941, he was communications officer for the Sixth Air Force, becoming assistant chief of staff for operations of the Sixth that December. Entering the Naval War College at Newport, R.I., in June 1942, he graduated that December and rejoined the Sixth in the Panama Canal Zone as deputy chief of staff. The following April he became communication officer of the Mediterranean Allied Tactical Air Force, and in July 1940 he joined the 12th Air Force in that capacity, serving in North Africa and Italy.
Transferring to the Army and Navy Staff College in May 1945, General Hale was operations instructor, and later served as chief of the Communications Section there. Appointed operations instructor at the National War College in June 1946, a year later he was named chief of the Communications Division of the Air University at Maxwel1 Field, Ala., with additional duty as assistant chief of staff for operations. In September 1948 he became chief of the Academic Staff at the Air University, retaining his duties as chief of the Communications Division, and the following August he was named director of education for the Air University.
Assigned as chief of the War Plans Division in the Directorate of Plans, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, at Air Force Headquarters Aug. 7, 1950, in January 1952 he went to Korea as vice commander or the Fifth Air Force, far East Air Forces. That November he was appointed assistant chief of staff for operations, Allied Air Force, in Central Europe, Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers in Europe, and Aug. 1, 1955, he assumed command of the Airways and Air Communications System, Military Air Transport Service, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit and Bronze Star. He is rated a command pilot and aircraft observer.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
He was promoted to first lieutenant (permanent) Oct. 1, 1935; to captain (temporary) March 14, 1934; reverted to permanent rank June 16, 1936; was promoted to captain (permanent) May 2, 1939; to major (temporary) March 15, 1941; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) Jan. 5, 1942; to colonel (temporary) March 1, 1942; to major (permanent) May 2, 1946; to colonel (permanent) April 2, 1945; to brigadier general (temporary) Dec. 22, 1950, to major general (temporary) Dec. 15, 1953; to brigadier general (permanent) Oct. 27, 1954.