Retired March 1, 1973.
Major General Dudley Ervin Faver is director, Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council, Washington, D.C.
General Faver was born in Sweetwater, Texas, in 1916. He graduated from Newman High School, Sweetwater, Texas, in 1933 and received his bachelor of arts degree at Abilene Christian College, Abilene, Texas, in 1937. While awaiting assignment to flight training, General Faver became a qualified pilot, and obtained his private flying license in 1940.
In March 1941, General Faver entered the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet. He attended primary flight training at the Ryan School of Aeronautics, Hemet, Calif.; basic flight training at Moffett Field, Calif.; and advanced flight training at Mather Air Field, Calif. In October 1941, he graduated from flight training in the Class of 41-H and received his commission as a second lieutenant. His first assignment was to Mather Air Field as a flight instructor where he remained until March 1943 and conducted training in all three phases of flight instruction.
As a member of the initial cadre, General Faver took part in the formation of the Instrument Flying Instructor School at Randolph Field, Texas, and moved with it to Bryan Field, Texas, in April 1943. He began duty at Bryan as a flight and academic instructor and was later appointed director of Ground School. He remained with the school as chief of Academics and Training Analysis when it was transferred to Barksdale Field, La., in December 1945. General Faver served in that capacity until April 1947 when he was transferred to the Alaskan Air Command.
During the reorganization that followed the formation of the Air Force, General Faver was assigned as assistant deputy chief of staff for operations in the Alaskan Air Command and later as director of Operations and Training Division.
In the summer of 1949, he entered the Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. After graduating, he reported to Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., and assumed command of the U.S. Air Force Instrument Instructor Pilot School.
After assisting in preparation of the training program for the new B-47 Strato-jet bomber during March 1951 at Air Training Command Headquarters, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., he was reassigned to Wichita Air Force Base, Kan., as executive officer of the Training Wing, B-47 Combat Crew Training, until March 1953.
Promoted to commander of the 3540th Flying Training Group, in April 1953, General Faver transferred to Pinecastle Air Force Base, Fla. (later McCoy Air Force Base) and remained there until February 1954, when he was ordered to duty at Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In the Pentagon for 42 months, he began his tour as deputy chief of the Officer Manning Control Branch, Officer Assignment Division. Shortly thereafter, he was named chief of that unit.
In the summer of 1958, General Faver completed studies with the Air War College and was assigned to the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Laon Air Base, France, as director of operations.
In February of 1959, he was assigned to Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany, as director of ballistic missiles. In June 1960, he was reassigned in the same capacity to Lindsey Air Station, Wiesbaden, Germany.
Terminating his European tour of duty in 1961, General Faver arrived in Texas during August to assume command of the 3320th Technical School at Amarillo Technical Training Center, Amarillo Air Force Base, Texas, an organization involved in a variety of technical training. It had detachments located virtually around the globe. General Faver assumed command of the 3500th Pilot Training Wing, Reese Air Force Base, Texas, in January 1964. He was promoted to brigadier general on April 21, 1966.
In July 1966, General Faver was reassigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as the deputy director of personnel training and education, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel. On Nov. 14, 1966, he was reassigned as deputy director, personnel planning, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters and the Army Commendation Medal.