Retired July 31, 1957. Died March 28, 1998.
E. Blair Garland was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1903. After graduating from high school in Rochester, N.Y. in 1922, he attended the University of Rochester for one year. Entering the U.S. Military Academy, he graduated June 14, 1927 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Signal Corps.
General Garland received a master's degree in electrical engineering from Yale University at New Haven, Conn., in June 1928 and a year later graduated from the Signal School at Fort Monmouth, N.J. He then became athletic officer at the summer training camp there, and in September 1929 was named post signal officer at Fort Jay, N.Y. He entered the Telephone School of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company in New York City in August 1932, graduating the following June.
Going to Hawaii, General Garland vas named assistant signal officer of the Hawaiian Department at Fort Shafter. Returning to the U.S. Military Academy in May 1935, he was appointed an instructor in the Department of Chemistry and Electricity. Five years later the general became a company commander and then a battalion commander at Fort Monmouth. Transferred to the Office of the Chief Signal Officer at Washington, D.C., in September 1941, he was named executive officer of the Materiel Branch.
Appointed signal officer of the Eighth Air Force in March 1942, the general moved with it to England that July. In November 1943 he was named signal officer of the Ninth Tactical Air Force Fighter Command, later redesignated the Ninth Tactical Air Command, serving in France and Germany. Returning to the United States in June 1945, the following month he went to the Pacific for temporary duty with the Far East Air Forces.
That November General Garland was appointed an adviser on the War Department Equipment Review Board at Washington, D.C. In January 1946 he became an adviser on aircraft warning activities at Continental Air Force Headquarters, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. and the following April was named communications officer of the Tactical Air Command at Langley Field, Va. On May 1, 1947 the general was transferred to the Air Force. Entering the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., that August, he graduated in June 1948 and returned to Langley as Director of Communications, TAC.
Moving to Germany in September 1949, General Garland assumed command of the 1807th Airways and Air Service Wing at Wiesbaden. On Sept. 28, 1951, he took command of the Airways and Air Communications Service, Military Air Transport Service, at Andrews Air Force Ease, Md.
Three years later General Garland was named chief of communications at Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers in Europe.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal and French Croix de Guerre with Palm.