Retired Feb. 1, 1953. Died March 1, 1968.
Earl Seeley Hoag was born in Sioux City, Iowa, in 1895. He enlisted as a sergeant in the Signal Reserve Corps in February 1917, and began basic flight training at the Curtis Flying School at Miami, Fla. In August 1917, he transferred to Rockwell Field, Calif., for final flight training. The following November he went to Kelly Field, Texas, as a flight instructor, and in December was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Aviation Section of the Signal Reserve.
In May 1918, General Hoag went to Scott Field, Belleville, Ill., where he served as post adjutant and commanding officer of the 50th and 88th Observation Squadrons. He was assigned to Kelly Field, in November 1919, to command the 11th Bombardment Squadron and the First Provisional Air Park Group, and in July 1920, was appointed a first lieutenant in the Air Service of the Regular Army. From November 1920, to December 1922, he served at Fort Howard, Md., and at the headquarters of the Third Corps Area at Baltimore, Md., as assistant and acting air officer. His next assignment was at the Pittsburgh, Pa., airdrome.
General Hoag in September 1923, was assigned to the War Plans Section in the Office of the Chief of the Air Service in Washington, D.C. In July 1928, he went to Camp Nichols in the Philippine Islands. In April 1931, he went to Brooks Field, Texas, and in August was appointed commanding officer of Chapman Field, Fla. In August 1935, he enrolled in the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala. After graduation in July 1936, he became adjutant of the First Wing at March Field, Calif. In July 1937, he became executive officer of the First Wing.
In February 1940, General Hoag was appointed assistant to the chief of Planning and Equipment on the War Department General Staff. In July 1940, he became chief of the Development Section, Requirements and Distribution Branch, of the Supply Division.
General Hoag was assigned in February 1943, to the Africa-Middle East Wing as executive officer and the following July assumed command of the wing. In October 1943, he became commanding general of the India-China Wing of Air Transport Command, which operated over the "Hump" between India and China. By the personal direction of President Roosevelt, the India-China Wing was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its effectiveness in carrying war supplies to the Republic of China.
In March 1944 General Hoag was designated commanding general of the European Division of Air Transport Command which he reorganized in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. He commanded this division until VJ Day, at which time it controlled all Air Transport Command activities in the European area north of the Mediterranean.
General Hoag, in October 1945, was appointed Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, G-4, War Department General Staff. In June 1946, he was transferred to Army Air Forces headquarters and the following month was assigned to the Research and Development Division on the War Department General Staff.
In August 1947, General Hoag was appointed chief of the U.S. Air Force Group of the American Mission for Aid to Turkey. In August 1949, he became special assistant to the chief of staff for reserve forces at U.S. Air Force headquarters. In August 1951, he was appointed chairman of the Joint Troop Carrier Board at Washington. In October he was redesignated director of the Joint Air Transport Board, and in December 1951, moved in that capacity to Fort Bragg, N.C.
General Hoag has been awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Air Medal, and War Department Army Commendation Ribbon. His foreign decorations include the British Honorary Companion, Most Excellent Order of the Bath; the Norwegian Order of St. Olav, Commander with Star; the Chinese Special Collar Order of Yun-Hui, and the French Legion of Honor, Chevalier, and Croix de Guerre with Palm.
He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and aircraft observer.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
He was promoted to captain Oct. 1, 1930; to major (temporary) June 16, 1936; to major (permanent) June 12, 1939; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) March 11, 1940; to lieutenant colonel (permanent) Oct. 16, 1941; to colonel (temporary) Nov. 15, 1941; to brigadier general (temporary) June 25, 1943; to brigadier general (permanent) Feb. 19, 1948 with date of rank from June 25, 1943; to major general (temporary) Oct. 4, 1917.