Died Feb. 15, 1989.
Edward Pont Mechling was born in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1904. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on June 14, 1927, and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Cavalry.
Beginning flying training at Brooks Field, Texas, in January 1928, General Mechling was assigned to the First Cavalry Division at Fort Bliss, Texas. Entering the Ordnance School at Watertown Arsenal, Mass., in August 1930, he graduated in 1932 and received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Assigned to the Testing Division at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., on Feb. 16, 1934, the general was transferred to the Ordnance Department, and that June he was named director of the Automotive Department at Raritan Arsenal, N.J.
Moving to Langley Field, Va., in October 1937, General Mechling was appointed ordnance officer, becoming assistant ordnance officer at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C., in March 1941. After serving as military observer in London, England, from July to September 1941, he was reassigned to Bolling Field. The following March the general was assigned as ordnance staff officer of the Eighth Air Force Service Command in the European theater, becoming assistant chief of staff for supply that October. Joining the North African Strategic Air Force in May 1943, as ordnance staff officer, that August he was appointed assistant chief of staff for supply, and three months later assumed that position with the 15th Air Force in the Mediterranean theater.
Joining the War Department General Staff in April 1944, General Mechling was named chief of the Development Section, becoming executive officer that September. Appointed chief ordnance officer for the Army Ground Forces at Washington, D C., in May 1945, that September he was designated assistant deputy to the assistant chief of staff on the War Department General Staff. The following January he was appointed chief of the Logistics Group of the National Guard Bureau, becoming executive officer in July 1947.
Transferred to the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Materiel at Air Force headquarters in December 1946, General Mechling was assigned duty as deputy director of armament, becoming chief of the special weapons team in the Office of the Deputy Chief of staff for Operations in May 1950. He assumed command of the Air Force Armament Center at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., in March 1952.
General Mechling retired from active Air Force duty on July 31, 1957, and was ordered to extended active duty, voluntarily, on Aug. 1, 1957, to resume command of Air Force Armament Center.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit and Air Medal.