Maj. Gen. Elizabeth Ann Harrell is Director of Maintenance and Logistics, Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va. She is responsible for policy, budget and oversight of the command?s maintenance, supply, contracting, transportation and munitions activities. She provides logistics direction and oversight to the more than 43,000 logistics personnel assigned to 93 ACC combat and combat logistics support units worldwide supporting 2,840 fighter, bomber and special mission aircraft. The general leads a staff of more than 350 people and controls a budget of $4.6 billion. In addition, she supervises three special staff agencies comprising more than 440 people providing the command?s regional supply support, command-wide contracting activities, and program management of the radar surveillance systems dedicated to protecting the nation?s borders.
The general entered the Air Force in 1976, receiving her commission through Officer Training School. Throughout her career, she has served as a maintenance officer, executive officer and commander at the squadron, group and wing levels of the Air Force at various locations around the world. The general has served as Director of Logistics and Security Assistance at Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany, and most recently as Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1975 Bachelor of arts in history, Phi Beta Kappa, Emory University
1980 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1986 Master of science degree in human resource management, Troy State University
1986 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1976 - December 1976, distinguished graduate, Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. January 1977 - August 1977, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
3. September 1977 - December 1979, maintenance officer, 52nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem Air Base, West Germany
4. January 1980 - January 1984, maintenance officer, 474th Tactical Fighter Wing; officer in charge, 430th Aircraft Maintenance Unit; and maintenance supervisor, 474th Component Repair Squadron and 474th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. February 1984 - July 1985, maintenance supervisor, 4450th Tactical Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. August 1985 - July 1986, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 1986 - August 1987, Commander, 1st Component Repair Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
8. August 1987 - December 1988, executive officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
9. January 1989 - January 1990, Commander, 8th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
10. February 1990 - January 1991, Military Deputy, F100 Engine Division, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
11. February 1991 - July 1992, Inspector General, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
12. August 1992 - June 1993, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 1993 - June 1995, Commander, 56th Logistics Group, later, Commander, 56th Support Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. June 1995 - November 1996, Commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
15. November 1996 - June 1997, Chief, Infrastructure Panel, Quadrennial Defense Review, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. June 1997 - July 1999, Executive Officer to the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. July 1999 - September 2000, Commander, 81st Training Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
18. September 2000 - November 2001, Director of Logistics and Security Assistance, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Vaihingen-Stuttgart, Germany
19. November 2001 - February 2004, Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
20. February 2004 - present, Director of Maintenance and Logistics, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 16, 1976
First Lieutenant Dec. 16, 1978
Captain Dec. 16, 1980
Major May 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1989
Colonel Jan. 1, 1993
Brigadier General Feb. 1, 2000
Major General Oct. 1, 2003