Selected for reassignment as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Maj. Gen. Frank R. Faykes is Director of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the command's chief financial officer, General Faykes is responsible for the oversight of more than $40 billion of the Air Forces budget. He provides executive and technical guidance to 5,000 people in financial management that support weapon system research, development, and test and repair at 16 AFMC locations.
General Faykes was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC program at Virginia Tech and entered active duty in 1976. He has served in comptroller and command positions at all management levels -- wing, major command and Air Force headquarters. Prior to assuming his current position, General Faykes was Director of Budget Operations and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C. In this position, he was responsible for directing the formulation of Air Force operations and maintenance, and military personnel budgets, exceeding $55 billion annually.
1976 Bachelor's degree in economics, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg
1980 Master's degree in management, Troy State University
1981 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1983 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1984 Comptroller Staff Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1986 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1989 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1993 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Seminar XXI Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. December 1976 - April 1978, management analysis officer, Strategic Communications Area, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2. May 1979 - May 1981, Chief, Cost and Management Analysis Branch, Comptroller Division, 401st Tactical Fighter Wing, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
3. June 1981 - June 1982, financial management student, Education-With-Industry Program, Eastern Airlines, Miami, Fla.
4. July 1982 - February 1985, Chief, Cost Factors Branch, and Budget Analyst and Executive Officer to the Comptroller, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. March 1985 - January 1989, action officer and budget analyst for operation and maintenance appropriation, Office of the Comptroller of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. January 1989 - June 1989, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
7. July 1989 - July 1992, Commander, 435th Comptroller Squadron, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
8. July 1992 - June 1993, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 1993 - February 1996, Chief, Finance, Plans and Programs Division, and Chief, Budget Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. February 1996 - August 1999, Comptroller, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. September 1999 - July 2002, Director of Budget Operations and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
12. August 2002 - present, Director of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
1980 Cost and Management Analysis Officer of the Year, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
1991 Comptroller Squadron of the Year Award, Military Airlift Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 9, 1976
First Lieutenant Dec. 2, 1978
Captain Dec. 2, 1980
Major May 1, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1990
Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Brigadier General Sept. 1, 2000
Major General Sept. 1, 2004