Retired Sep. 1, 1976.
Major General Henry Simon is deputy director Defense Supply Agency (Contract Administration Services), with headquarters at Cameron Station, Alexandria, Va.
He graduated from Cranford High School, Cranford, N.J., in 1939; received a bachelor of science degree in industrial management from Rutgers University, N.J., in 1948; a master's degree in personnel management in 1962, and a master of business administration in 1964, both from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C. In December 1968 he graduated from the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration. General Simon was born in Rosemont, W. Va., in 1921.
During World War II, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps in September 1942, completed single-engine pilot training in the Southeast Training Command, and received his pilot wings at Marianna, Fla., in 1944. During 1944 and 1945, he served with the 1st Commando Group in the China-Burma-India Theater, where he flew 368 combat missions.
General Simon received a Regular Air Force commission in July 1947. He served as an instructor pilot, adviser to the Air Force Reserve, and public information officer with the 1st Air Force in Newark, N.J. In March 1949 he entered industrial mobilization training under the Air Force Institute of Technology program for a year of executive training with industry. He was assigned to Headquarters Air Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, in April 1950, and served on the procurement and production staff until April 1955.
In May 1955 General Simon was assigned to the procurement and production staff for Headquarters Air Materiel Forces, European Area, in Wiesbaden, Germany. His responsibilities included working with NATO countries on the procurement and production of Hawker Hunter, Javelin, Mystere, and F-86K aircraft and avionics. In August 1958 he entered the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
In July 1959 General Simon was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he served in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Systems and Logistics. In August 1963 he entered the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C., and graduated in June 1964. His thesis, entitled "The Utilization of Women in the American Workforce," was published and distributed throughout the Department of Defense.
General Simon was assigned to the Defense Supply Agency, Cameron Station, Va., in July 1964. He was the chief of the implementation team which effected the orientation, training and consolidation of approximately 20,000 civilian and 600 military personnel and 300,000 government contracts into 11 Defense Contract Administration Services Regions under DSA. In July 1965 he became chief of the contract management review team for Contract Administration Services.
In August 1967 General Simon was assigned to the San Antonio Air Materiel Area, Air Force Logistics Command, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas. After serving as the director of a procurement and production organization, he assumed the position of director of materiel management in June 1970.
From June 1971 to March 1973, General Simon was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, where he served as inspector general during 1971, and then assumed duties as the assistant deputy chief of staff, materiel management.
General Simon became the auditor general of the U.S. Air Force in March 1973.
In August 1974 General Simon returned to the Defense Supply Agency to become deputy director, DSA (Contract Administration Services).
He is a command pilot. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with three oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster.
General Simon's hometown is Cranford, N.J.
He was promoted to the grade of major general on Aug. 1, 1973, with date of rank Feb. 1, 1971.