Retired Feb. 1, 1969.
Major General Hugh Boyd Manson is commander of the Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Appointed in January 1966, he is responsible for the executive management for the center and the various technical facilities required to conduct manned aerospace vehicle development test operations. He also supervises the operation of the Air Force Aerospace Research Pilot School at Edwards and the Air Force activities at the Joint Parachute Facility at El Centro, Calif.
Born in Darien, Ga., in 1915, General Manson graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in 1934 and from the University of Florida, Gainesville, in 1938, with a bachelor of science degree in biology. After air cadet training at Kelly and Randolph fields, Texas, he was commissioned on Feb. 1, 1939, as a second lieutenant and received his pilot's wings. Today he is a command pilot with more than 4,700 hours flying time.
General Manson's initial assignment was with the 2d Bomb Group at Langley Air Force Base, Va. Prior to World War II, he joined the 22d Bomb Group and earned the American Campaign Medal with bronze star for participation in the antisubmarine campaign. He served from 1942 to 1943 as a squadron commander in the 22d Bomb Group in Australia and New Guinea, which earned the Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem. From 1943 to 1945, as commander of the training group at Lake Charles, La., and later as director of operations and training and deputy base commander, General Manson formed and developed a crew training program on operation of the new A-26 aircraft, which thoroughly familiarized crews with the capabilities and limitations of the aircraft.
In March 1945, he joined the 319th Bomb Group as deputy commander and while in Okinawa earned the Air Medal for a flight over Kumamoto, Kyushu, Japan. After cessation of hostilities he served with the occupation forces in Japan.
Upon his return to the United States, he attended Georgia Institute of Technology, receiving a bachelor of science degree in aeronautical engineering in 1950.
From 1951 to 1954 General Manson was director of flight and all-weather testing at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
After graduating from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in June 1955, he became commander of the 406th Fighter Interceptor Wing in England until May 1958 when he moved to Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, as deputy chief of staff for operations, where he earned the Legion of Merit.
In August 1959, the general became the deputy chief of staff for operations at AFFTC and in 1960, he was named commander of the Atlas Site Activation Task Force at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, where he was awarded an oak leaf cluster to the Legion of Merit for providing a combat-ready site for the Atlas F.
In August 1962, General Manson returned to Wright-Patterson as assistant to the deputy commander for B-70, Aeronautical Systems Division. In 1963, he became deputy for systems management; on July 15, 1964, he became vice commander, Aeronautical Systems Division; and on Nov. 1, 1965, assumed command of the Systems Engineering Group, Wright-Patterson, remaining there until reassignment to his present position in January 1966.
The general's decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster and the Air Medal.