Maj. Gen. Jack L. Rives is Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. General Rives assists the The Judge Advocate General in the professional oversight of more than 1,300 judge advocates, 300 civilian attorneys, 1,000 enlisted paralegals and 600 civilians assigned worldwide. In addition to overseeing an array of military justice, operational, international and civil law functions, General Rives provides legal advice to the Air Staff and commanders at all levels.
General Rives received his commission through the Air Force ROTC program in 1974. He completed his legal education at the University of Georgia School of Law in Athens before entering active duty in 1977. The general has served as a wing staff judge advocate, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Commandant of the Air Force Judge Advocate General School, and as the first Chief of the Air Force Executive Issues Team. Prior to assuming his current position, General Rives worked as Staff Judge Advocate at Headquarters Air Combat Command.
1974 Bachelor of arts degree in political science, University of Georgia, Athens
1976 Juris doctor degree, University of Georgia School of Law, Athens
1982 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1983 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1985 National Security Management, by correspondence
1990 Air War College, by seminar
1993 Distinguished graduate, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1977 - June 1977, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Griffiss AFB, N.Y.
2. July 1977 - August 1978, Area Defense Counsel, Griffiss AFB, N.Y.
3. September 1978 - September 1979, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1979 - June 1981, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Hellenikon AB, Greece
5. June 1981 - June 1983, Circuit Defense Counsel, Pacific Circuit, Clark AB, Philippines
6. July 1983 - June 1984, Judge Advocate Air Staff Training Officer, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 1984 - July 1986, Staff Judge Advocate, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
8. July 1986 - April 1990, Chief, Officer Branch, Judge Advocate Professional Development Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. May 1990 - August 1992, Appellate Judge, U.S. Air Force Court of Military Review, Bolling AFB, D.C.
10. August 1992 - June 1993, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1993 - August 1995, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1995 - March 1998, Commandant, Air Force Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. March 1998 - February 2000, Chief, Air Force Executive Issues Team, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. February 2000 February 2002, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
15. February 2002 present, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 12, 1974
Captain Jan 25, 1977
Major Dec 1, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Aug 1, 1989
Colonel May 1, 1994
Brigadier General Apr 1, 2000
Major General Apr 1, 2002