Retired Aug. 1, 1983.
Major General James H. Marshall is director of development and production, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Research, Development and Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
General Marshall was born in 1929, in Louisa, Va., and graduated from Louisa County High School in 1947. He has a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from the Virginia Military Institute and a master of science degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Texas. He is a graduate of the Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Va., and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. He also attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Management for Senior Executives.
He was a distinguished Reserve Officers' Training Corps program graduate in June 1951, at which time he was commissioned into the Regular Air Force and assigned to Shaw Air Force Base, S.C. He completed pilot training and received his wings at James Connally Air Force Base, Texas, in February 1953.
From October 1953 to May 1957, General Marshall was an RF-80 and RF-84 pilot and flight commander with the 303rd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron at Sembach Air Base, Germany. He then returned to the United States and was assistant professor of air science at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J. In June 1960 he entered the University of Texas.
After graduation in September 1962, he reported to Los Angeles Air Force Station, Calif., for duty with the Titan III Space Launch Program as chief of the Test and Integration Branch. In August 1965 he entered the Armed Forces Staff College.
In January 1966 the general was assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C., as assistant deputy director for advanced planning in the Office of Space Systems. In September 1967 he left for the Republic of Vietnam where he was chief of the Tactical Operations Division, Headquarters 7th Air Force, at Tan Son Nhut Air Base. In April 1968 he became a combat aircraft commander in the 14th Air Commando Wing at Nha Trang Air Base, flying 101 combat missions in AC-47s and accumulating 325 combat flying hours.
General Marshall returned to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force in September 1968 as assistant deputy for research and development in the Office of Space Systems. In July 1969 he was reassigned within the Office of Space Systems as deputy director for studies and analysis.
Upon graduation from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in August 1970, General Marshall was assigned to the Air Force Systems Command's Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, where he served as vice commander of the 4950th Test Wing from July 1971 to July 1972; C-5A system deputy program director from My 1972 to July 1973; system program director, deputy for C-5A from July 1973 to February 1975; deputy for airlift/tanker aircraft from February to April 1975; and deputy for engineering until May 1976.
The general was then named inspector general for Air Force Systems Command and in July 1978 took command of the Space and Missile Test Organization at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. General Marshall assumed his present duties in July 1980.
General Marshall is a command pilot. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters and Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster.
He was promoted to major general June 1, 1979, with date of rank Sept. 1, 1975.