Retired Nov. 1, 1955. Died Jan. 1, 1975.
James McCormack Jr. was Born at Chatham, La., in 1910. He graduated from Riverside Military Academy in Ga., and was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1928. He graduated from the academy and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers June 10, 1932.
After receiving his commission, he went to England to enter Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship and three years later received his bachelor of arts degree in languages from Oxford.
He then returned to the United States and in September 1935, was assigned to the Eighth Engineers at Fort McIntosh, Texas. In May 1936, he entered Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he received his master of science degree in civil engineering a year later. His next assignment was as assistant to the district engineer at Boston, Mass.
In September 1937, he entered the Engineer School at Fort Belvoir, Va., and after graduating the following June was named assistant engineer on the Reservoir Project at Sardis, Miss. In October 1939 he became a company commander with the 21st Engineer Regiment at Fort Benning, Ga., and eight months later was named regimental adjutant of the 20th Engineer Regiment at that station. In December 1940, he assumed command of a battalion of the 20th Regiment at Fort Benning. He became commander of the 76th Engineer Company at Fort McClellan, Ala., in July 1941.
A year later he was assigned to the War Department General Staff, Washington, D.C., as assistant chief of the Construction and Allowances Branch. In March 1943 he became chief of the Construction Branch, War Department General Staff.
He went overseas in October 1943 to become chief of the Movements Branch First Army Group in Europe, and the following July was named chief of the Movements Branch, 12th Army Group, in that theater.
In May 1945 he returned to the United States and was reassigned to the War Department General Staff, Washington, D.C., where he served successively as a member of the strategy and policy group, as assistant chief and chief of the Strategic Policy Section, and as chief of the Politico-Military Survey Section.
He was appointed director of the Division of Military Application of the Atomic Energy Commission, with station at Washington, D.C., in February 1947. On July 25, 1950, he was transferred from the Army to the Air Force.
General McCormack has been awarded the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster and the Bronze Star Medal. His foreign decorations include the French Legion of Honor and Croix de Guerre with palm and the Order of the British Empire.