Retired Feb. 1, 1973.
Major General James O. Frankosky is vice commander of Thirteenth Air Force with headquarters at Clark Air Base, Republic of the Philippines. As an element of the Pacific Air Forces, Thirteenth Air Force provides air defense as well as forces for tactical air operations while supplying administrative and logistical support of U.S. Air Force units assigned throughout Southeast Asia.
General Frankosky was born in Fargo, N.D., in 1919. He graduated from Central High School, Fargo, N.D., in 1937 and attended North Dakota Agriculture College, Fargo, N.D., in 1938. In July 1939 he entered the U.S. Military Academy, completed flying training in December 1942 and graduated from the academy in January 1943 with a commission as second lieutenant. He received a master's degree from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1969. He attended B-17 transition training at Hendricks Field, Fla., and then was assigned in May 1943 to Geiger Field, Wash., as a pilot and instructor. He later served in the same capacity at Ardmore, Okla.
During World War II, from August 1944 to June 1945, General Frankosky served as a squadron commander with the 412th Bombardment Group and later as operations officer with the 95th Bombardment Group in the European Theater of Operations. He completed 22 combat missions.
After returning to the United States, he served briefly in the Military Personnel Division, Headquarters Army Air Forces, Washington, D.C., and at Wright Field, Ohio. In January 1946 he became an instructor in the Department of Chemistry and Physics at the U.S. Military Academy.
From July to December 1948 he attended a Special Weapons Course and then was assigned to Sandia, N.M., as assistant S-3 for operations, Armed Forces Special Weapons Project. In February 1951 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force where he first served as an operations and training staff officer with the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project and later as operations staff officer in the Tactical Branch, Directorate of Operations.
He was assigned in February 1954 to the Joint U.S. Military Group, Madrid, Spain, as chief, Programs Branch, Plans and Programs Division, and in May 1954 became deputy director of plans and operations for the Joint Group and Sixteenth Air Force and later became director.
In July 1957 he returned to the United States and served as director, Combat Operations Center, Western NORAD Region, and later as director, Plans and Programs, Headquarters Western Air Defense Force at Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif.
He entered the National War College in August 1959 and following graduation a year later attended B-47 transition training at McConnell Air Force Base, Kan. In October 1960 he was assigned as deputy commander for maintenance, 380th Bombardment Wing, Plattsburgh Air Force Base, N.Y., and later became vice commander of the wing. He became commander of the 497th Refueling Wing at Plattsburgh in June 1963.
From October 1963 to January 1967 he served as commander, 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease Air Force Base, N.H. During this period he attended the B-52 Wing Commander's Course at Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
In January 1967 he was assigned as deputy director for strategic and defense forces in the Directorate of Operational Requirements and Development Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He became deputy director of operational requirements in February 1969.
He assumed duties as vice commander, 13th Air Force in September 1971.
General Frankosky's military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters and the French Croix de Guerre.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Aug. 1, 1971, with date of rank July 1, 1967.