Retired Aug. 1, 1972. Died March 19, 1989.
Major General Jerry Dentler Page is commander of Sheppard Technical Training Center, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. The center provides technical, medical service, and flying training for officers, airmen and civilian employees of the U.S. Air Force, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, Department of Defense, and foreign nationals.
General Page was born in Manila, Philippine Islands. He grew up in Los Angeles, Calif., and graduated from Manual Arts High School in that city and received a bachelor of science degree in industrial management at the University of Southern California in 1937. During his military career he also has graduated from the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.; Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, Va.; and National War College in Washington, D.C.
He began his military career in June 1938 as an aviation cadet in the Army Air Corps and received his pilot wings and commission at Kelly Field, Texas, in 1939. His first years of service were as flying instructor, flight commander, cadet commandant, flying director and operations officer at Randolph Field, Texas.
During World War II, General Page served in the South Pacific area with the XIII Fighter Command as operations officer and was awarded the Legion of Merit. He was cited for a "big share in development and tactical use of napalm fire bombs in P-38s." He flew 32 combat missions in P-38 Lightning and P-39 Aerocobra fighter aircraft.
He returned to the United States in January 1946 and assumed duties as deputy base commander of Hamilton Field, Calif. In February 1948 he entered the Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. He was assigned in July 1948 as Air Force liaison officer in the newly created Office of the Secretary of Defense. In April 1949 he was appointed executive to the deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
In September 1950 General Page went to London, England, as Air Force representative to the Northern European Regional Planning Group. In July 1951 he became deputy chief of staff for plans for Allied Air Forces Northern Europe with headquarters in Oslo, Norway. After two years, he returned to the United States to serve as chief of the Doctrine Division of the Evaluation Staff at the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., from August 1953 to August 1955.
In August 1955 he entered the National War College and in September 1956 assumed command of the 3525th Combat Crew Training Wing (Fighter), at Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
He returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in June 1960 as deputy director for war plans for the deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, and in September 1961 he became deputy director for aerospace plans for the deputy chief of staff for plans and operations. For his service in these two assignments he received the Distinguished Service Medal, the nation's highest peacetime military award.
General Page was transferred to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base, Md. in 1964 where he earned a second Legion of Merit as deputy chief of staff for plans. In August 1966 he assumed the dual position of vice commander of the Air University and commandant of the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. In March 1967 he was assigned as commander of the 313th Air Division with headquarters at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. There he earned the Distinguished Service Medal (Air Force design).
In August 1969 General Page assumed command of Sheppard Technical Training Center, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
He is a qualified jet fighter pilot with more than 5,800 hours of flying time. In addition to the above mentioned decorations, he has the Air Medal and the Army Commendation Medal.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective June 16, 1962, with date of rank Jan. 1, 1958.