Retired Nov. 1, 1972. Died Feb. 7, 1996.
Major General Jewell C. Maxwell is commander of the Armament Development and Test Center, with headquarters at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The mission of the center is to accomplish engineering development, test, evaluation and initial acquisition of Air Force non-nuclear munitions; act as the focal point for munitions integration in aeronautical systems; conduct and support Air Force weapons effectiveness testing; electromagnetic warfare testing; electronics surveillance and control testing; intrusion/interdiction systems, aeronautical systems testing; and support and participate in Air Force, Department of Defense, and other governmental agencies test and evaluation programs as required.
General Maxwell was born in Cockrum, Miss., in 1917. He graduated from Whitehaven High School, Tenn., in 1935, and attended the University of Tennessee from 1938 to 1941. In 1941 he entered the U.S. Army Air Forces and received his pilot wings and commission as second lieutenant in January 1942.
He then was assigned to the 21st Bombardment Group as maintenance officer and squadron commander at Columbia, S.C.; then Meridian, Miss.; and MacDill Field, Fla. He became commander, 496th Bombardment Squadron, 344th Bombardment Group at Lakeland, Fla.
From 1943 to 1945 he served in the European Theater of Operations, during which time he flew 44 combat missions as a B-26 aircraft pilot and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters, and Bronze Star Medal. In August 1944 he became executive officer for the 386th Bombardment Group.
General Maxwell returned to the United States in May 1945 and received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Tennessee in 1947. In July 1947 he became an instructor with the Reserve Training Wing, Dobbins Air Force Base, Ga. In 1949 he received his master's degree in aeronautical engineering from Princeton University.
General Maxwell first became associated with research and development in 1949 while assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Directorate of Research and Development, where he served as chief of the Bomber Aircraft Section. He was transferred to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, in 1952, where he served five years as chief of the Bomber Aircraft Division in the Directorate of Systems Management, Wright Air Development Center. In July 1958 he was assigned to Headquarters Air Research and Development Command, now Air Force Systems Command, as assistant for test operations. A year later, he was made chief of staff, ARDC.
In March 1963 General Maxwell was transferred to Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., and assumed command of the 6595th Aerospace Test Wing (AFSC). He became commander of the Air Force Space Test Center (renamed Air Force Western Test Center) at Vandenberg Air Force Base in January 1964.
In October 1965 General Maxwell was appointed director of the Office of Supersonic Transport Development, in the Federal Aviation Administration. In August 1969 he assumed duties as commander of the Armament Development and Test Center (AFSC) at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
His military decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal (Air Force design), Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and Croix de Guerre avec palm (France). He has more than 3,600 hours of flying time.
General Maxwell's hometown is Memphis, Tenn.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Aug. 1, 1966, with date of rank July 1, 1961.