Retired Aug. 1, 1974.
Major General John Bailey Henry Jr., is chief of staff of the U.S. Southern Command, Quarry Heights, Canal Zone.
General Henry was born in Christine, Texas, in 1916, attended high school in Charlotte, Texas, and entered Southwestern University in 1936. In March 1938 he entered aviation cadet training and in February 1939 graduated with a commission as second lieutenant and his pilot wings.
From October 1941 until June 1943, General Henry served as operations officer for the 37th Fighter Group and then as commander of the 28th Fighter Squadron at Albrook Field, Canal Zone. In July 1943 he was assigned to the 339th Fighter Group as its commander, at Rice Field, Calif., and later transferred to England. In April 1945 in England, he served as assistant A-3, 4th Combat Wing, and later on as chief of staff, 20th Bombardment Wing. He flew 94 combat missions.
General Henry returned to the United States in August 1945 and commanded bases in Dallas, Texas; Topeka, Kan.; and Westover Field, Mass. He entered the Armed Forces Staff College at Norfolk, Va., in September 1947. From February 1948 to May 1949, he served as commander of the 28th Airdrome Group and the 28th Bombardment Group at Rapid City Air Force Base, S.D.
Between May 1949 and March 1952, General Henry served with Headquarters Fifteenth Air Force at Ent Air Force Base, Colo., and then March Air Force Base, Calif., as deputy chief of staff for personnel and administration; deputy chief of staff for operations, respectively. He assumed command of the 22nd Bombardment Wing, Strategic Air Command at March Air Force Base in March 1952 and served in that position for more than two years. During this period of time General Henry became proficient as a jet bomber pilot.
In July 1954 he entered the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., and following his graduation a year later, he became chief, Promotions and Separations Division, under the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In June 1958 he became executive, Office of Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel.
General Henry was assigned in August 1959 as director, Secretariat, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii; in 1960 he became assistant chief of staff, plans, and later was assistant chief of staff, operations.
He returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in August 1963 as deputy inspector general; and in August 1966 he became director, Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council. He assumed duties as director, Inter-American Defense College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., in September 1967.
In July 1969 General Henry was assigned as chief of staff for Headquarters U.S. Southern Command, Quarry Heights, Canal Zone.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with four oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters, Croix de Guerre with palm (France), and Air Force Military Cross, 2nd Class (Venezuela).
General Henry's hometown is Charlotte, Texas.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Aug. 1, 1963, with date of rank April 1, 1959.