Retired Feb. 1, 1970.
Major General John Landrum Martin Jr., is assistant for Systems Acquisition Management, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
General Martin was born in Spartanburg, S.C., in 1919. He graduated from Fairforest High School, S.C., studied mechanical engineering at Clemson College, S.C., from 1937 to 1940. He entered the U.S. Army in July 1940 as an aviation cadet, attended flying training at Hicks, Randolph and Kelly fields, Texas, and received his pilot wings and commission as a second lieutenant in March 1941.
He was assigned as a flying instructor at Kelly and Ellington fields, Texas, from 1941 to 1943. Following this assignment, he was stationed at Fort Worth, Texas; Tucson, Ariz.; and Great Bend, Kan., for training in B-24, B-17 and B-29 aircraft. From April 1944 until March 1945, he served with the 444th Bombardment Group in the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations as aircraft commander and squadron operations officer and flew 14 combat missions. He returned to the United States in March 1945 and served as a commander of a B-29 training group and flying training staff officer at Randolph Field, Texas.
He entered Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn in 1946 and received a bachelor of science degree in aeronautical engineering in 1948. After graduation he was stationed at Roswell, N.M., as maintenance squadron commander and group materiel officer. From 1949 to 1951 he attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, Mass., and received a master of science degree in aeronautical engineering. He then was assigned as assistant professor at the Air Force Institute of Technology at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, in June 1951. In July 1954 he was assigned as chief of the Flight Control Laboratory, Wright Air Development Center, Ohio.
General Martin became deputy director of advanced technology at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., in July 1958. In 1960 he was assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force where he served as deputy director, Office of Missile and Satellite Systems; later as deputy director, Office of Space Systems; in 1962 became director, Office of Space Systems; and in August 1964 assumed duties as vice director of special projects at Los Angeles Air Force Station, and also served as assistant deputy commander for satellite programs, Space Systems Division, Air Force Systems Command.
In July 1965 he became director of special projects, and deputy commander for satellite programs at Space Systems Division, now the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Organization. In August 1969 General Martin was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command as assistant for systems acquisition management.
His military decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters and Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem. He is a command pilot.