Died July 4, 1996.
John Stewart Mills was born in Appleton, Wis., in 1906. He graduated from high school there and attended Lawrence College for a year. Entering the U.S. Military Academy in July 1924, he graduated on June 9, 1928 and was commissioned a second lieutenant of Field Artillery.
Beginning Primary Flying School at Brooks Field, Texas that September, General Mills graduated from Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas in October 1929. The following month he was transferred to the Air Corps. He then was assigned to the 11th Bomb Squadron at Rockwell Field, Calif.; attended Air Corps Technical School at Chanute Field, Ill., from September 1930 to April l931; and then rejoined the 11th, moving with it to March Field, Calif., that October.
Going to Nichols Field, Philippine Islands in November 1934, General Mills served as adjutant of the 28th Bomb Squadron. In January 1937 he went to Langley Field, Va., as flight commander of the 29th Bomb Squadron and later intelligence officer of the Second Bomb Group. Transferred to Wright Field, Ohio in July 1939, the general became chief of the Instrument and Navigation Unit of Air Materiel Command; attended a three-month course at the Air Corps Tactical School, Maxwell Field, Ala.; and that year returned to his duties at Wright Field.
In June 1943 the general assumed command of the 450th Bomb Group in North Africa. In July 1944 he became chief of operations for the Mediterranean Allied Air Forces in Italy.
Transferred to Army Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C. in December 1944, General Mills was named chief technical assistant in the Materiel Division. He was appointed deputy director of the New Development Division of the War Department General Staff there in April 1945. Going the Panama Canal Zone in July 1946, he became deputy chief of staff of the Caribbean Defense Command.
Entering the National War College, Washington, D.C. in August 1948, the general graduated the following June and was appointed assistant for atomic energy at Air Force headquarters there. In October 1950 he assumed command of the Special Weapons Command at Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, N.M.
Returning to Air Force headquarters in June 1954, General Mills was designated assistant deputy chief of staff for Personnel and on Sept. 10, 1956 was appointed assistant deputy chief of staff for Development.
His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters. He is rated a command pilot, combat observer and aircraft observer.