Retired Aug. 1, 1982. Died Sep. 30, 2001.
Major General John T. Randerson is commander of the Strategic Communications Division at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. The communications division is a subcommand of the Air Force Communications Command. He is also deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, Headquarters Strategic Air Command.
General Randerson was born in 1928, in Albany, N.Y. He received a bachelor of science degree in general science from Union College, Schenectady, N.Y., in 1949 and a master of arts degree in English from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1960. The general is a graduate of the Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
He enlisted in the Air Force in January 1951 and entered aviation cadet training. He completed the program as a distinguished graduate and received his pilot wings and commission to second lieutenant in March 1952.
In December 1953 General Randerson completed the communications officer course at Scott Air Force Base, Ill., and spent the next two years with U.S. Air Force Security Service. He served first as an electronics officer at Wheelus Air Base, Libya, and then as commander of two remote sites, Sile and Samsun, Turkey.
From April 1955 to June 1960, he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as a special security officer for the National Indications Center and later as assistant chief of the Headquarters U.S. Air Force Special Security Office. In July 1960 he was assigned as a communications-electronics officer with the 6913th Radio Squadron, Mobile, in Bremerhaven, Germany.
In January 1965 he graduated with honors from the communications-electronics staff officer course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., and was assigned as chief of the Plans Division, Keesler Technical Training Center. In January 1967 he returned to Air Force headquarters as a plans officer in the Directorate of Command, Control and Communications. General Randerson became commander of the 1876th Communications Squadron, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, in June 1969.
When he returned from Southeast Asia, he entered the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. Following graduation in June 1971, he was assigned to South Ruislip Air Station, England, as commander of the United Kingdom Communications Region with additional duty as deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, Headquarters 3rd Air Force.
In March 1972 he transferred to Ent Air Force Base, Colo., as deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, Aerospace Defense Command, and assistant deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, North American Air Defense Command. In February 1974 General Randerson was assigned to SAC headquarters as director of communications-electronics, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations.
The general returned to Europe as commander of the European Communications Area and deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, U.S. Air Forces in Europe at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, in June 1975. He assumed his present duties in July 1977.
General Randerson is a pilot and has been awarded the missile badge. His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal and Republic of Vietnam Honor Medal 1st Class.
He was promoted to major general Sept. 8, 1980, with date of rank July 1, 1977.