Retired May 1, 1973.
Major General Joseph Lawrence Dickman is deputy director (Operations and Administration), Defense Nuclear Agency, Washington, D.C.
General Dickman was born in Tampa, Fla., in 1917. He attended secondary school in Asheville, N.C., and high school in Manasquan, N.J., where he graduated in 1934. He attended Admiral Farragut Academy at Toms River, N.J., and graduated in 1935. He then entered the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., and graduated in 1939. In September 1939 he entered flying school and received basic and advanced flying training at Randolph and Kelly fields, Texas.
His first assignment after receiving his pilot wings was with the 38th Reconnaissance Squadron at March Field, Calif. In 1941 he was transferred to the 53d Pursuit Group at Dale Mabry Field, Fla. Shortly after World War II began, he led a flight of P-39 aircraft to the Panama Canal Zone where he spent six months. In September 1942 he joined the 78th Fighter Group at Hamilton Field, Calif., and as deputy commander, he accompanied the group to England and participated in its first operational mission in April 1943. On that occasion his P-47 engine failed and he parachuted into the English Channel where he was rescued by the British Air/Sea Rescue.
In October 1943 General Dickman was given command of the 402d Fighter Group, Seymour Johnson Field, N.C., and later at Bleuthenthal Field, N.C. In 1944 he returned overseas to the 82d Fighter Group, stationed at Foggia, Italy. He completed a combat tour of duty with the 82d as deputy commander, flying P-38 aircraft.
From 1946 to 1951, General Dickman served on the academic staff at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., and as director of student flying at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. While at Maxwell Air Force Base, he attended the Air Command and Staff College, August 1947 - June 1948, and the Air War College, January 1951 - June 1951.
In July 1951 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., in the War Plans Division, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations. In August 1955 he entered the National War College at Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
In June 1956 he was assigned as commander of the 388th Fighter Bomber Wing, located at Etain, France. He remained there for two years, during which time his wing converted from F-86 to F-100D aircraft and was redesignated the 49th Fighter Wing. In July 1958 General Dickman was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, where he served as assistant deputy chief of staff for operations. In November 1959 he became deputy chief of staff for operations for the Seventeenth Air Force at Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
General Dickman returned to the United States in August 1960 and was assigned again to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, where he served for a year as chief of the Promotions and Separations Division under the Directorate of Military Personnel. In June 1961 he became executive assistant to the secretary of the Air Force.
In July 1963 General Dickman was assigned as commander, Duluth Air Defense Sector, Duluth International Airport, Minn. He became director of operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters North American Air Defense Command/Continental Air Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colo., in October 1964; and director, Combat Operations Center, for Headquarters NORAD/CONAD Region in September 1965. In July 1967 he was assigned as commander, Eastern NORAD/CONAD and First Air Force (Air Defense Command), Stewart Air Force Base, N.Y. He was assigned as deputy chief of staff, operations, Aerospace Defense Command, Ent Air Force Base, Colo., in January 1970.
In July 1971 General Dickman was assigned as deputy director (Operations and Administration), Defense Nuclear Agency, Washington, D.C.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, and Purple Heart.
General Dickman's hometown is Miami, Fla.
He was promoted to the grade of major general effective Aug. 20, 1965, with date of rank Feb. 6, 1961.