Retired Feb. 1, 1977.
Major General Kendall Russell is assistant deputy chief of staff for research and development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
General Russell was born in 1925, at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He graduated from St. Albans School, Washington, D.C., in 1942, and entered the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He graduated from the academy in 1945 with a bachelor of science degree, his pilot wings and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. He has master of science degrees from Purdue University (nuclear physics) and The George Washington University (business administration).
He completed transition training and, during 1946-47, served in Germany as a fighter pilot successively with the 366th Fighter Group and the 27th Fighter Group.
In July 1947 he returned to the United States and served as a fighter pilot with the 522d Fighter Squadron, Kearney Airfield, Neb. In June 1948 he entered Purdue University, Ind., under the Air Force Institute of Technology program, and graduated in June 1950 with a master of science degree in nuclear physics.
He then was assigned to the Air Research and Development Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, as a nuclear weapons effects officer in the Directorate of Research. In July 1951 he was transferred with the command to Baltimore, Md., and served in the same capacity in the Directorate of Nuclear Applications. In May 1955 he was named chief, Weapons Effects Section, Directorate of Development.
General Russell was transferred to the Air Research and Development Command's Ballistic Missile Division in Inglewood, Calif., in January 1957, and served in advanced systems planning involved with the evaluation of alternative intercontinental ballistic missile concepts. From September 1960 to June 1961, he attended the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
He next was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as a space systems staff officer in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Systems and Logistics, and later became advanced space projects officer in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Technology (now Research and Development).
In May 1963 he moved to the Directorate of Development as a space development plans officer. During this tour of duty, he was awarded the Legion of Merit.
From August 1965 to September 1966, he was a student at the industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
General Russell was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., in September 1966, where he became director of General Purpose and Airlift Systems Planning, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Development Plans.
In July 1968 General Russell assumed duties as director, Airborne Warning and Control Systems, Headquarters Electronic Systems Division, L.G. Hanscom Field, Mass., a post he held for five years. For this service he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal.
He served briefly as vice commander of ESD and in July 1973, was transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as director of development and acquisition. In September 1975, he became assistant deputy chief of staff, research and development.
He was promoted to the grade of major general on June 8, 1973, with date of rank July 1, 1970.