Retired Sep. 1, 1975.
Major General Kendall S. Young is air deputy, Allied Forces Northern Europe, Oslo, Norway.
General Young was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1920. He attended the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and the University of Maryland. He was commissioned a second lieutenant, Infantry, in February 1941 and served as a platoon commander for the 175th Infantry, 29th Division, at Fort Meade, Md. In January 1942 he transferred to the U.S. Army Air Forces and completed pilot training at Army Air Forces flying training schools at Camden and Shaw fields, S.C., and Moody Field, Ga., and received his pilot wings in September 1942.
During World War II, General Young saw combat duty in North Africa and Italy as a B-24 aircraft pilot commanding the 727th Bombardment Squadron, 451st Bombardment Group. He returned to the United States in October 1944 and served as an instructor pilot and later as squadron commander for the 113th Army Air Field Base Unit at Charleston, S.C. His next assignment was on the operations staff of the First Air Force at Mitchel Field, N.Y., from January 1944 to July 1945. Following that assignment he was a fighter test pilot at nearby Grumman Aircraft Corporation for a brief period. He was released from active military duty in July 1945.
In March 1951 General Young returned to active duty and was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in the Congressional Division and in December 1953 became Senate/White House liaison officer for the Office of Legislative Liaison. From October 1955 to May 1958, he was chief of the Policy Division, Directorate of Plans, in Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe. In June 1958 he returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as planning and programs officer in the Combined Plans Division of the Directorate of Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Programs. In June 1960 he became Air Force member of the Long Range Team, Basic War Plans Branch, in the Directorate of Plans and Policy, Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
In June 1962 he was assigned as deputy chief of staff, plans and manpower, of the Eastern Transport Air Force, Military Air Transport Service, at McGuire Air Force Base, N.J. He was transferred to Turner Air Force Base, Ga., in June 1963, where he assumed command of the 1370th Photographic Mapping Wing.
General Young returned to Germany in June 1965 to become director of plans in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, in Wiesbaden. In August 1966 he assumed command of the 7101st Air Base Wing at the same location. He became commander of the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Royal Air Force Station Upper Heyford, England, in June 1967.
Following his tour of duty in Europe, General Young became commander, 363d Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., in July 1968.
In August 1969 he was transferred to the Republic of Vietnam as chief of the Air Force Advisory Group, U.S. Military Assistance Command Vietnam, at Tan Son Nhut Airfield. He returned to Europe as deputy chief of staff for plans, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, with headquarters in Wiesbaden, Germany, in March 1971.
In June 1973 General Young was assigned to Oslo, Norway, as the air deputy, Allied Forces Northern Europe.
His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal; Silver Star; Legion of Merit; Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster; Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters; Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters; Presidential Unit Citation Emblem with three oak leaf clusters; Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem with three oak leaf clusters; Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon with oak leaf cluster; French Croix de Guerre with palm; National Order of Vietnam, 5th Class; Vietnamese Air Force Distinguished Service Order, 1st Class; Vietnam Staff Service Honor Medal, 1st Class; and Vietnam Air Service Medal, Honor Class. He is a command pilot with more than 4,500 flying hours and also possesses Vietnamese Air Force command pilot wings.
He was promoted to the grade of major general effective Aug. 1, 1971, with date of rank July 1, 1967.